MK's 75g Journal

Mary K

Hi my fish people and Nerms!

Its been a struggle but the 75g Tank is almost dialed in.  Water tests are good!  Plants are starting to fill in.  I do have a cloudy water issue though,  I think it's from bubbles.   

I moved everything from a 29g to this 75g and it did not go well.  Lost all of my Platy's 30+ (there were lots of fry) except 3 female adults.  But, one had given birth after the move and these fry have all survived.  So I still have 30+. Sadly, I had to give half of fry to LFS for feeders and will probably have to do the same for most of the rest. There are just to many.  🙁

Anywho,  I've been dialing in the filter situation., I had two HOB's and replaced them with 2 large sponge filters. But I decided to keep one HOB for crushed coral to buffer PH and hold the bamboo plant 🙂 I added.  So I have one HOB and one SF. (prolly to much but oh well)

I still cannot decide if I want Angels or Discus.   I need something for Platy population control!!  🐠

I removed the second SP tonight and I hope that will solve the cloudy water issue.  To many bubbles. 

TLDR: Fish tank doing GOOD 👍  See pretty pictures!  😜

IMG_4361.jpeg.a6a1f07b1cd398fd61ae52568e57bece.jpegIMG_4360.JPEG.e60cc5b0b2cdcbdcfed6a6bd583f7236.JPEG

Beggars 🦐

IMG_4356.JPEG.8e56ee0c2728b349515c04f29b4d44cc.JPEG

Bamboo Plant in HOB with modified lid.  

IMG_4357.JPEG.00f95cdddeddf41e666e651bef6b658c.JPEG

___________________________________________________________________________________

THE OLD 29g

IMG_3662.jpeg.c53067909f2dcc8eebac7b50e8a65efa.jpeg

Thanks for reading and looking!!  💙

Edited by Mary K
Picture issue
  • Like 2

I love the plant sticking out of the filter, I have thought about doing that too! Please keep updating, I love reading through the progess people have made with their aquariums.

hmm... Angelfish or Discus? I think I would go with discus but thats only because I think they are super gourgoues and would make a great addition to that tank. Maybe 3-4 of them would look nice. I really like the red pigeon discus or any wild caught strain. @Fish Folk has a beautiful discus setup, perhaps he could share some insight.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This sounds fun! Hope you get the tank stable and thriving. Plants are always good for fish. @Brandy still has my top-favorite forum advice, “add two plants for every fish.”

I do really enjoy my little discus tank. It’s only a 55 gal. Some will hopefully go into my son’s new 75 gal once he gets that rolling. Here’s a 1-min video I shot today while they were getting their water changed...

The challenge with discus is that they are quite expensive if you buy them any larger than a silver dollar. If you get them small, and are very patient, you’ll be pleased. They do need a stable, well-cycled tank with clean water. Discus have a sensitive slime coat that is susceptible to infections.  Having said that, the reward is really great! They’re not hard to keep.

Angelfish come in a wide variety of color forms, and can be equally well appreciated. They are not usually as expensive as Discus, and can tolerate a wider target of water parameters. I think @Randy was breeding some really beautiful ones recently.

I’m honestly not sure either would eat your platy fry. Perhaps Eldctric Blue Acaras would. We’ve got a bunch of them...

305645FD-96E9-43F9-815F-DAB6638231AA.jpeg.7e61f5ba13b693868bb8599b94f2ca7c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 07/11/21

Microbubbles.  They suck. 

The cause?  Maybe the  HOB with the Bamboo plant, a bag of crushed coral, and some coarse sponge.  Thinking this might be the cause?  Its that or the sponge filter.  Uggh 

OH,  I have some Frogbit I gathered up with some air tubing around the top cypress knee.  

I decided on Discus, but waiting to catch up on bills before I drop that kind of $$.  I live in FL so I will buy small ones from Jack Watley. 

IMG_4415.jpeg.8fc0b26d17bed313564d95327bc15e3d.jpeg

• Like 1

@Patrick_G  Well...  I put that in after they were big enough to keep away from it.  I would turn it off if/when there are any new tiny fry.   Or maybe zip tie some coarse filter media around it. Not sure if that would work.  

I do have the nano pump. Its a lower flow pump and works perfect in the 75g for surface agitation.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/equipment/products/koralia-nano-circulation-pump

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2021 at 4:00 PM, Mary K said:

@Patrick_G  Well...  I put that in after they were big enough to keep away from it.  I would turn it off if/when there are any new tiny fry.   Or maybe zip tie some coarse filter media around it. Not sure if that would work.  

I do have the nano pump. Its a lower flow pump and works perfect in the 75g for surface agitation.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/equipment/products/koralia-nano-circulation-pump

Thanks, I’ll look into that one. I bought this one and it’s way to big for my 75.

47D58A7D-872E-4136-AD86-2E5C9E0E0FDA.jpeg

• Like 1