I have had a tank that's 37 gallons set up for about a week. It's still in the cycling process so I am doing my research on what fish I want to put in there. I originally wanted to do some type of cichlid but my tank is just too small. I never thought of owning Gourami's but I did just see a bunch at petco today and they were in all different colors and beautiful! If I did an all gourami tank, how many could I keep in it? Also, are all different types compatible together? I saw dwarf, pearl, honey, paradise and a few others I cant remember and they were all stunning! Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

On 6/24/2021 at 8:40 PM, xxaprilrose said:

I have had a tank that's 37 gallons set up for about a week. It's still in the cycling process so I am doing my research on what fish I want to put in there. I originally wanted to do some type of cichlid but my tank is just too small. I never thought of owning Gourami's but I did just see a bunch at petco today and they were in all different colors and beautiful! If I did an all gourami tank, how many could I keep in it? Also, are all different types compatible together? I saw dwarf, pearl, honey, paradise and a few others I cant remember and they were all stunning! Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have 2 Jewl cichlids in a 36 gallon tank, plants and caves is key, them jokers are always looking for a fight but I think you would be good with 2 of them. They are a pretty fish and fun to keep. Just a thought if you still want to go the cichlid way.....

My next setup, a 55 gallon, is going to be Gouramis 6 of them.  They like still water, pH should be neutral to slightly acidic, with low hardness. I think I'm going to try black water with them not real dark but more of a tea tint golden brown. I would suggest to do some research on them to make sure you understand the fish your thinking of getting.

On 6/24/2021 at 7:40 PM, xxaprilrose said:

Also, are all different types compatible together?

No experience here, but quite a bit of research. It seems that the most peaceful gourami options are either gender of honey gouramis, or female powder blue gouramis. I'd say to look into those first. From what I was finding, other species can get pretty grumpy. 

• Like 2

I'm doing a 55 gallon gourami tank as my next project. Everything I am reading says not to mix gourami species, especially if you go for the three-spot gourami in any variation; the good news about going for only one gourami species in a tank is that going for the three-spot gourami means you can mix and match all the different selectively bred colors they come in (gold gourami, opaline gourami, blue gourami, lavender gourami, platinum gourami) if and only if you get one male and the rest females.

Gouramis are social and do well in pairs or in groups... so long as there's only one male. I think with a 36 gallon your best choices would be the Pearl Gourami, the thick-lipped gourami, or the honey gourami. The Three-Spot and its variations would be a single gourami in a 36 gallon tank. 

By the way, sometimes thick-lipped gouramis are labeled as honey gouramis at the store by mistake. You may see them as 'sunset' gouramis (there are sunset honey gouramis but they're different from sunset thicklip gouramis). Before I did my thorough research I ended up with a sunset thicklipped along with my honeys. We're keeping her, and so far there has been no issues. Hopefully it continues that way as they all grow up.

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 3

Thanks everyone! I saw on a website that dwarf gourami's can be kept with bolivian ram's and also boesemani rainbows. Could I get all three for the tank? And if so, how many of each? For gourami's i'll probably do the honey or pearl or even sunset since they are less aggressive. And would only get one male. Would this work or no? Im not sure how accurate the site is.

On 6/25/2021 at 8:44 AM, xxaprilrose said:

Thanks everyone! I saw on a website that dwarf gourami's can be kept with bolivian ram's and also boesemani rainbows. Could I get all three for the tank? And if so, how many of each? For gourami's i'll probably do the honey or pearl or even sunset since they are less aggressive. And would only get one male. Would this work or no? Im not sure how accurate the site is.

This stocking plan can work, and all three fish inhabit different levels of the aquarium. I'm a bit nervous about the rainbowfish only because Boesemani grow to be pretty large (4 to 5 inches per fish). They are a schooling fish and require at least 6 to feel happy. Maybe try a smaller, dwarf variety of rainbowfish and make sure you have enough of them to fill out a school of 6 to 8 and keep them occupied. There's the dwarf neon rainbowfish, threadfin rainbowfish, furcata rainbowfish, sunset dwarf rainbowfish (Melanotaenia parva)... tons to look at! 

On 6/25/2021 at 8:58 AM, laritheloud said:

This stocking plan can work, and all three fish inhabit different levels of the aquarium. I'm a bit nervous about the rainbowfish only because Boesemani grow to be pretty large (4 to 5 inches per fish). They are a schooling fish and require at least 6 to feel happy. Maybe try a smaller, dwarf variety of rainbowfish and make sure you have enough of them to fill out a school of 6 to 8 and keep them occupied. There's the dwarf neon rainbowfish, threadfin rainbowfish, furcata rainbowfish, sunset dwarf rainbowfish (Melanotaenia parva)... tons to look at! 

ooohhh! sunset dwarf rainbowfish and dwarf neon rainbowfish are pretty cool looing. If i did those how many of each should I stock? also thanks so much for ur help/recommendations! 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 9:02 AM, Fresh said:

Check out liveaquaria.com as they have put together some real nice value packs with gourami's and they have them separated by gallon size. Unfortunately they are all sold out at the moment though

well I will def check them out when my tank is cycled and hopefully it will be in stock by then! thank you

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 9:06 AM, xxaprilrose said:

ooohhh! sunset dwarf rainbowfish and dwarf neon rainbowfish are pretty cool looing. If i did those how many of each should I stock? also thanks so much for ur help/recommendations! 

The bigger the school, the better! I'd aim for at least 8. I use http://aqadvisor.com/ as a starting reference for stocking my aquariums. It doesn't take everything into account (a planted aquarium can often handle overstocking a bit better) but it's a good tool to play with.

• Like 1

The website I listed has a breakdown of each pack they sell so it could give you an idea on the quantity of each to get in regards to your tank size.

The one I was looking to get has 31 fish in total with each school having 9 total.