Trimming back anubias

So I have a 29 gal biocube that I've been growing some anubias in. When I first put it in there it was pretty small. Now it's grown so big that it's touching the cover. I know I need to cut it back, but I'm a little hesitant. Should I treat it like any other plant? Cut then let it callus before planting it? The tank lives in the garage and I only really see it on the weekends. Also, I removed the divider in the tank that separates the refugium from the main tank. So there is no partition.

Screenshot_20210622-090259_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 12:43 PM, Fish Folk said:

It’s a rhizome plant, so just cut off a chunk of rhizome that has shoots and roots. Move it to a new space. If you trim long leaves, it should send out more. Just don’t bury the rhizome.

Yeah. I agree with this. It's a very hardy plant so you can't really go wrong. Use something very sharp like an x-acto knife or razor blade (be careful!). How long did it take to grow that giant mass of plants? 

About a 2 years. The tank started off with about 2.5 inches of compacted miracle grow potting soil and a peagravel cap. I just put the rhizome in the middle of the tank resting on the gravel and put the lexan top on. After that I'd forget about it for a month or two at a time. I eventually had to fert with dry orchid ferts since the miracle grow soil was pretty much tapped out. I don't have any fish in there right now.

Edited by Expectorating_Aubergine

You can cut the extra tall leaves, it will grow new leaves, maybe not in the same place on the rhizome but it will grow new leaves. I had some very tall Anubias that I received out of a friend's tank that were covered in beard algae. I cut of all the leaves and cut the rhizome that was over 10" long into lots of smaller portions and each of them grew more leaves over a period of two months and I still have some offspring from that plant several years ago in my tanks today.

Edited by Jungle Fan