how long can dwarf gouramis live in a 5g bucket?

Hello! I have a quick question about fish transportation. I'm currently moving and I will be staying with family for a few weeks. I was able to figure out temporary setups for all my fish except my 17 powder blue dwarf gouramis and 1 female betta. How long could these guys live in a 5 gallon bucket? I could divide them into different buckets but the less the better. I'd be using a sponge filter temporarily that is set for 75 gallons. Thank you!

they can probably live in a 5 gallon bucket for a long time, but I highly recommend the HDX 27 gallon totes, they are only 10 dollars and will hold their weight in water. Do not do the larger sizes, they bow out over time. I have had two going and full of water for 2 years now and still are holding their shape. I am sure lowes will have them but I got mine at home depot

• Like 3

Hi, when I was treating my male betta for parasites he lived in a 5 gallon bucket the whole course of treatment, and was fine. As long as water stays fine, probably indefinitely. However as large as you can get will probably work best, especially considering that you have multiple fish you need to transport. Good luck with the move! 

• Like 1

Just remember that water is heavy so if you are transporting in your car and you use a larger container in the car you will need to siphon water out to lift it... Conversely you could use the 5 gallon pail for driving and the larger container at your parents house. Did i read correctly that you have 17 dwarf gourami? That will take several containers also you might trigger some bickering in too small a container.

• Thanks 1