Light recommendations for 75 gal?

Fish Folk

We’re slowly setting up a 75 gal. heavily  planted tank. Looking for lighting recommendations. Would like this to be a densely planted, but low tech set up (no CO2). Using Activ-flora substrate. Probably stocking with discus, tetras, and L??? Plecos. Temperature will be hot ... so that will limit plant choices some.

I have the Nicrew RGB with the remote timer. It’s ok but It could be brighter. The plants grow but they’re leggy and reach for the light. However you can get two for ~$150, so it budget friendly. In hindsight I’d just get one Fluval 3.0 or two Lominie spotlights. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Thanks 2

On or 55 gal discus tank, we’re  currently running some no-name-brand LED with moveable block lights. It’s OK... but we’re hoping to step up to the plate better for plants. Not necessarily looking for brighter... just better overall quality, spectrum, etc.

6AA426D6-4A39-40D3-AE2D-F490E420C26C.jpeg

6C21D3E6-20C9-491F-AB01-90F0B607054D.jpeg

E0167DC8-A420-4967-BADC-2159C15B31FA.jpeg

If I wouldn't have my Kessils and were on a tigher budget I'd get either two of the Fluval Plant 3.0s, or two of the Finnex Planted+ 24/7, or more likely the economy competitor with slightly less options of the Kessils, two of the Aqua Illumination Prime HD 16 LED Freshwater Aquarium lights for my 75 gallon jungle tank (however those bad boys would still run around $500 with mounting hardware). Something where you can add as much red, or amber to your tank as your plants like. Most say red and blue, but in my experience blue is what algae prefer so I keep it out of my tank for the most part, especially since I prefer not to have to pick green algae out of my Christmas moss that is very close to the surface.

A colorful variety of Amazon swords and a few nice pieces of driftwood combined would be my main choice for what you described. Red Flame, Rubin, Ozelot both green and red, Altlandsberg, and the original Amazon sword come to mind.

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2021 at 6:13 PM, Jungle Fan said:

If I wouldn't have my Kessils and were on a tigher budget I'd get either two of the Fluval Plant 3.0s, or two of the Finnex Planted+ 24/7, or more likely the economy competitor with slightly less options of the Kessils, two of the Aqua Illumination Prime HD 16 LED Freshwater Aquarium lights for my 75 gallon jungle tank (however those bad boys would still run around $500 with mounting hardware). Something where you can add as much red, or amber to your tank as your plants like. Most say red and blue, but in my experience blue is what algae prefer so I keep it out of my tank for the most part, especially since I prefer not to have to pick green algae out of my Christmas moss that is very close to the surface.

A colorful variety of Amazon swords and a few nice pieces of driftwood combined would be my main choice for what you described. Red Flame, Rubin, Ozelot both green and red, Altlandsberg, and the original Amazon sword come to mind.

@Jungle FanOooh! I know that they have been out for a while, but I really, really want some Kessils. What Kessils are you running?

On 6/5/2021 at 5:07 PM, Patrick_G said:

In hindsight I’d just get one Fluval 3.0 or two Lominie spotlights. 

I absolutely HATE spending crazy money on lighting, but you definitely get what you pay for in this regard.  I love the Fluval app and the control it gives.  I'll never use anything else on my non-co2 setups.  The Lominie spots are essentially Kessil clones (at a fraction of the price), and what they lack in terms of programability can easily be rectified with WiFi controlled outlets.  I'm getting ready to start building my first High-Tech co2 tank (45cm Cube - 24 gallons) and the Lominie Asta 120 is what I be using.

Edited by tonyjuliano

33 minutes ago, umfalcon said:

@Jungle FanOooh! I know that they have been out for a while, but I really, really want some Kessils. What Kessils are you running?

@umfalcon I'm running two Kessil A360X Tuna Sun on goosenecks linked with K-link cable, and controlled with the Spectral controller X. They keep my plants happy,20201226_143510a-Edit.jpg.c88b8bedfc18b492bed3d7d068472cef.jpg

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 1