Introduce your Snails! (For those of use who name them)

I LOVE nerites! I want to have a Batik, Red Racer, some horned, and a King Koopa! Your snails look great and looks to be very healthy. I have a lot of baby pond and bladder snails with one adult bladder and two adult ponds. I also have a Rabbit Snail but I am unable to post her due to the size of the gif being too big. She is a small black and orange Rabbit named Helga after Helga Hufflepuff from Harry Potter 😁😁😁

• Like 2

3 chestnut mystery 5 magenta mystery 1 nerite countless bladder only my one bladder has a name. 

Chestnet, microdot, bubble bandit, caramel, honey the bladder snail, the wonder twins girl magenta’s, little boy & sneaks the frat boys, I can’t get Nemo my nerite picture to upload so I added snailapalooza at the green bean bowl from when they were younger in the same tank

D37C69B0-C9B5-41FB-9F49-4C173546F0A5.jpeg

DB24BACE-6E05-4BA3-A93F-6439C287281A.jpeg

21A67626-5449-4DF4-915A-8F73EAF60046.jpeg

EA4EEE87-4B19-4732-A25A-1A03D5947407.jpeg

E7B7F13A-0330-457D-963D-174BADE7F00B.jpeg

06C6057E-6818-4CB0-8572-35566D838B65.jpeg

1F12C30D-6A65-47F0-B30F-2CBE05B42F05.jpeg

D977F7A8-8419-4BF6-B5F0-1E0F675E29D9.jpeg

2F343102-0325-46E5-A08D-23AD73336A5A.jpeg

6E154D05-D64D-408B-A184-C498070B1C82.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I do fresh and steam them they hold in the fridge about a week. I open at seam take seeds out  put a plant weight on and lay meat side up.  I started with no salt added canned then went to frozen now they won’t touch canned.  I also steam baby carrots slide plant weight through center long way it’s hysterical to see them roll around the tank wrapped around a carrot. I do steamed broccoli stems also the floret make to much mess. Nobody touches zucchini or cucumber. My Plecos sit in the bowls if I’m late with the green bean though. They are like puppies begging.  

• Thanks 1

Nemo is an olive boy. He hides all day but I wake up to squeaky clean tank each day. Do each of your types act different. I heard some types sleep above the water line some are active during the day etc...I’m considering getting one for my one sorority tank that gets ambient sun in late afternoon but want one I actually can see.  Mine sleeps tucked in the gravel at the back of the tank. He goes there the minute the lights come on

@Guppysnail most of the Nerites besides Speck and Dash are new to my other 20 gallon tank so I haven't sorted out all their personalities yet however there are some who definitely prefer the substrate areas and others who prefer the upper glass areas I've noticed so far. In my original tank the Mystery snails definitely have personality and are always visible (partly because they are HUGE)- Pegasus is the male, he's constantly trying to reproduce with Glimmer and Escape. Speck and Dash are all over the place up and down in and out of things it's fun to play "Where's Waldo" with them. I'll have to get on with trying the green beans. 

@Patrick_G so am I picking up there's been several different versions of Speedy?

• Like 1

I don't have any named snails at the moment... well ok. I do have one. It's a tiger striped nerite snail who I think of as "Swinub" because it pretty much looks like this...

swinub.jpg.17bda6212759f4214f182069ca7b9dd4.jpg

But I did have an ivory mystery snail shipped to me a few years ago, that got stuck in the back of the mail truck until 8 pm on a VERY hot day. When she arrived, the water in the bag was HOT, but she was amazingly still alive. I named her Gertie the Wonder Snail, and she was a good little friend.

20180921_114153.jpg.e104ea07028b65f78738796f8c2113fb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

@xXInkedPhoenixXI had to start separating my boys and girls. The boys were not growing and the girls were starting to hide all due to my boys being overly amorous and more worried about their Casanova effort than eating.  After I separated into bachelor and and sorority tanks that’s when their comical personality really shined through. 

@Guppysnail ah, that's something to consider. I didn't intentionally get 9 Nerites for my one tank but I was out looking for about a half dozen. The LFS I went to sold them in 4 for 10 mode so I figured well I'll just get the 8 then- but then I got a bonus snail. I figure if I have to I have 3 other tanks I could separate out into if need be- so I'll keep an eye out. One of the new ones so far isn't moving much so sadly I might lose it- but I'm keeping an eye on them. 😞 

Meet Fred.  He is a mutant I swear.  He grew super fast,  you can see all the darker shell where he got his new growth all at once.  The second picture is when he realized that we transplanted water spangles into his tank, and he assumed we installed a salad bar just for him. 

20210602_123946.jpg

20210604_173949.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I absolutely love my snails! In the display we have two nerites (a tiger named Riley and a zebra that my son hasn't named yet) and three mystery snails. My son named them all! We have a gold mystery named Nick (or Nikki), a purple mystery named Aaron (or Erin), and a blue mystery named Skylar. We've never had eggs or mating activity in the month+ we've had all three together, so I have zero idea what their sexes are. We have tons of bladder snails, too. In the quarantine tank we have bladder snails and ramshorns! I adore them all.

• Like 1

I got a yellow Rabbit snail that I named "Chips" as he/she had some pretty significant shell damage.  I never explained the rationale of the name to my daughter and when I found two more yellow rabbits as short time later she named them "Salsa" and "Guacamole" without missing a beat.   Touché Dad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1