Browning Anudias

Just set up the tank about 2 weeks ago. Is it normal for some of the  Anubias plants to turn brown? If not what might be causing it? Have the Fluval 3.0 turning on and off gradually.  Max at 50%(all 3 white lights) 25%(red), and 2%(blue). For 10 hours. I am also using Easy Green.

20210602_140547.jpg

20210602_140510.jpg

Hmm . . . sometimes plants just need time to melt back, and start new growth. Plants often do this.

@Irene has written up a very helpful piece on the Co-Op sales side of the website here, that describes "Anubias Rot" and how to deal with it.

Below is a much-passed-around little graphic that provides very, very general suggestions about plant problems. I'd recommend first going to the exact plant that you're dealing with listed for sale on the Co-Op page, and checking out all of the helpful articles that are posted there.

E2432839-AF74-4618-A8CE-3489E2D53321.jpeg.62c5629b3ef7ce96155a457a162111af.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I had rhizome rot and when I was trying to gently brush some brown algae off of a leaf, it just came right off.  I sniffed the end of the stem, where it broke off from the rhizome (I swear to gosh, I read that this is a thing... I don't just randomly sniff suspicious stuff) and sweet mother of pearl, the odor.  Like death left in the microwave too long with a bad case of halitosis.

So... yeah.  If a leaf breaks off with absolutely no tugging... give it a sniff.  That is a sure sign of rhizome rot. You're welcome.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jim T said:

They are both a little soft.

Yeah...the rhizome of an anubias is pretty firm...like root vegetable firm...

And, I second what @Just Renee is saying about the smell...it can be pretty ghastly.  I would recommend wafting and not going in for a full on sniff. 😂

If you determine that it is rhizome rot...are there any parts of the rhizome that are not soft at all?  It's possible that you could try cutting away the soft parts to see if the rest of the rhizome can hold on.

I'm sorry your anubias are struggling...I once bought 4 anubias plants from a vendor and 3 of the 4 rotted even though I tucked them all in the driftwood and treated them nicely.  I was frustrated and sad, for sure!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1