Guppy Sexing

Sandyjo

I love your heart!  But I just wanna note, if she's your only female, and you have multiple males, the males will harass her constantly.  An ideal ratio would be at least 2-3 females per male (but then you'll have lots of babies forever), to move her to a separate tank (where, if she's been with males at any point she'll likely give birth), or sadly, return her and keep only males.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SWilson said:

I love your heart!  But I just wanna note, if she's your only female, and you have multiple males, the males will harass her constantly.  An ideal ratio would be at least 2-3 females per male (but then you'll have lots of babies forever), to move her to a separate tank (where, if she's been with males at any point she'll likely give birth), or sadly, return her and keep only males.   

Thanks for the comment. Plan was setting up a new community tank... guppy fraternity as part of a new 20 long as I've never kept guppies... Asked for 12 out of their tank marked male only and the rest are beautiful and definitely male... Don't know how she sneaked in there... I didn't add her to that tank because I knew one female would be pestered. She went in my plant QT tank for now... but my understanding is basically females are pretty much pregnant if w males at all and she was in a tank full of boys sooo.... I will move her to my 75 gallon community after QT but as I understand it, I will likely have guppy fry down the road because I have a female. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sandyjo said:

I didn't add her to that tank because I knew one female would be pestered. She went in my plant QT tank for now... but my understanding is basically females are pretty much pregnant if w males at all and she was in a tank full of boys sooo.... I will move her to my 75 gallon community

Good plan.

If you want to limit the fry (or end up wanting to), there are quite a few species of fish that can live peacefully with the mom guppy, but slurp down the fry. Maybe you already have some in your 75 gallon community. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CalmedByFish said:

Good plan.

If you want to limit the fry (or end up wanting to), there are quite a few species of fish that can live peacefully with the mom guppy, but slurp down the fry. Maybe you already have some in your 75 gallon community. 

Yes. I have 6 dwarf gourami and some platys....in there. I figure they will manage guppy fry as I only get a couple platy fry here and there in that tank. Worse case...new tank😉

3 hours ago, Sandyjo said:

Yes. I have 6 dwarf gourami and some platys....in there. I figure they will manage guppy fry as I only get a couple platy fry here and there in that tank. Worse case...new tank😉

It's actually super interesting to me that you mention dwarf gouramis and platies eating the fry. I've specifically been researching those 2 species for endler fry. Got any feedback on whether gouramis and/or platies would leave adult endlers alone?

Not to derail the thread, but...

7 hours ago, CalmedByFish said:

It's actually super interesting to me that you mention dwarf gouramis and platies eating the fry. I've specifically been researching those 2 species for endler fry. Got any feedback on whether gouramis and/or platies would leave adult endlers alone?

Not to derail the thread, but...

Not sure about endlers but the gourami and adult platys get along fine for me. I always have a few babies that hide well enough and survive to a safe juvenile size to roam the tank with no fear.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CalmedByFish said:

Do you think a safe juvenile size means less than an inch, or is it larger? That would tell me whether they would chomp an adult endler.

Definitely some less than an inch long platys survive in my tank (tons of plants and places for them to hide in)...id say right now I have about 10-12 under an inch running around in a 75 gal......but not sure if endlers are more tasty to a gourami 😉 

1 hour ago, Sandyjo said:

Definitely some less than an inch long platys survive in my tank (tons of plants and places for them to hide in)...id say right now I have about 10-12 under an inch running around in a 75 gal......but not sure if endlers are more tasty to a gourami 😉 

Helpful info! Thank you.

20 hours ago, Sandyjo said:

I have 6 dwarf gourami and some platys

I've narrowed down my next fish purchase to honey gouramis or platies. (Been researching for weeks.) Since you have dwarf gouramis and platies in the same tank, do you have a feel for which species would be better at dealing with an ornery angelfish?  

29 minutes ago, CalmedByFish said:

I've narrowed down my next fish purchase to honey gouramis or platies. (Been researching for weeks.) Since you have dwarf gouramis and platies in the same tank, do you have a feel for which species would be better at dealing with an ornery angelfish?  

I've never kept angels so not sure.... My Platys never seem to bother or be bothered by any other fish I have kept with them including a school of giant danios that race around constantly but I have seen them nip at mystery snails antenna so not sure if they would nip at the angel? My gourami are shy but I think they can be territorial sometimes. Sorry I can't really help😕

Edited by Sandyjo
Typo

• 3 weeks later...