Hesitating to replace 2 AquaClear's with sponge filters

Mary K

I have 2 AquaClear 50's on my new 75g.  I'm really tempted to replace them with 2 large sponge filters.  Also looking at Nano circulation pump...... I have 480 gpm that is way to much.  

IDK I wanna do it, but do I neeeeeeeed to?  LOL  Im thinking I can afford to do it, so just do it.  

Okay, I talked myself into it.   

4564f5476863f3d9a4f671f3b2d0315a.jpg.dadf106f6a8cd62d9b5f15815341d8f7.jpg

Tank does not look as good now.  Lost some fish and running meds as I some how managed to introduce "something" in my tank, so I'm working on that now.     

IMG_4007.jpeg.28aca34defa182e74ab2400199f28af9.jpeg

Edited by Mary K
  • Like 1

Why not just add the sponge filters while HOBs are stilling running? It'll allow BB to establish on the new filters while they continue to work in HOBs. I always do this when planning new tank (or swap a sponge from established tank) but I also run 2 HOBs and 2 sponge filters in my 33 gal (always prepared for another tank!)

Edited by Kalita
  • Thanks 1

The sponge filters will do fine bio filtering and are not that hard to clean. The biggest difference between the sponge filter and aquaclear will be surface movement (current). Certainly in an establish tank you should add the sponge filters a month before removing the auqaclear (to establish biofiltering). I know that for my 40B  i was not a fan of the aquaclear because the current was excessive but a lot depends on your stocking,

What I didn't see in your question is motivation for the change. Also i do not see what type of fishes you have - some fishes really like a strong current and will thrive in that current.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Kalita

Why not just add the sponge filters while HOBs are stilling running? It'll allow BB to establish on the new filters while they continue to work in HOBs. I always do this when planning new tank (or swap an sponge from established tank) but I also run 2 HOBs and 2 sponge filters in my 33 gal (always prepared for another tank!)

^^^^ this. Even on my cannister tanks I always have sponge filters in them. I think evety tank needs an airstone so why not put it in a sponge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh yes, I should have motioned that I do plan to replace One HOB at a time. 👍

The real reason I want to change out the HOB is that I worry that one will overflow and or somehow leak.   It will happen that one time I don't check them.  😏 LOL

I do like the AquaClear HOB, I would keep them if the tank was in the garage or a basement with a floor drain.   

Thanks for all y'alls input!  I appreciate it!

I actually replaced a canister with sponges. Things I noted, the canister was removing a LOT more mulm than I gave it credit for. I added some maylasian trumpet snails after much deliberation, and made a point to vacuum the tank more often for a bit, and that seems to have resolved the issue. The tank is much more low maintinance, really.

• Like 1