Siamese Algae Eaters

Ben Mills

This is coming from someone who has never kept SAE but I'd probably start with one and see how it goes. It sounds like they're pretty voracious eaters and I'm constantly growing hair algae in my tanks but then I read they may eat my shrimp so I decided against keeping them. I heard they get upwards to 6 inches and that seems a little big to keep a group of them in 20 gallons.

I have 2 in my 20 high and 3 in my 40 breeder. The largest is about 3" currently. As they start to outgrow the tank, I move them to larger tanks. 20g is honestly going to be too small for a full grown adult, but if you plan to move them to larger tanks, it's ok to start with a few. If you don't have larger tanks to migrate them to but want amazing algae eaters, get a fleet of Amano Shrimp! 

• Like 1

I am keeping 3 SAEs in a 29.  If they make it to their full potential, I can move them, but as @Streetwise mentioned, they are very social.  They are also a lot more entertaining than the other fish.

I usually buy my fish in groups of three, but you could split the difference and purchase at least two.

No way i would put them in anything smaller than a 4 foot tank. Mind you buying a small one or 3 and growing them out for a while in a 29 will work but after a year they will require a larger tank. Not only are they large (around 6 inch) they can be extremely active and require a bit of room. I have one in my 120 and when i upgrade to a 450 i'll get 3 more.

-

If you want something similar but correctly sized for a 29 - get 3 otto or a 8 or 9 if you like.

Edited by anewbie