Source for Matten Filter sponge?

pedrofisk

I am looking to make 8 to 10 Matten filters myself rather than buy them for 10g aquariums on the narrow end.  10.75" x 11.75" x 2″ should do it. I have been looking up sources for the sponge with a medium or course PPI but have come up short. Aquarium Coop does not sell them except for their 9x9 which is too small so I think it is ok to ask on the forum. I have looked through Ebay and Amazon but I have either not been happy with the size or I know I'd have to buy a few to get the right one. Anyone have any experience?

11 minutes ago, pedrofisk said:

I am looking to make 8 to 10 Matten filters myself rather than buy them for 10g aquariums on the narrow end.  10.75" x 11.75" x 2″ should do it. I have been looking up sources for the sponge with a medium or course PPI but have come up short. Aquarium Coop does not sell them except for their 9x9 which is too small so I think it is ok to ask on the forum. I have looked through Ebay and Amazon but I have either not been happy with the size or I know I'd have to buy a few to get the right one. Anyone have any experience?

I bought these mats from eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-PACK-2-x-12-x-12-COARSE-Filter-Floss-Pad-Aquarium-or-Pond-Media-2-pads/111667680920

Very coarse, very thick. Any questions? 🙂

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bill Smith said:

I bought these mats from eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-PACK-2-x-12-x-12-COARSE-Filter-Floss-Pad-Aquarium-or-Pond-Media-2-pads/111667680920

Very coarse, very thick. Any questions? 🙂

"Does it come in black?", Bruce Wayne. I guess I should have mentioned that although that does look like a good product.

I've order all mine from Swiss Tropicals. They come with a purpose built uplift tube called a Jetlifter instead of using an airstone. You can order them in different PPI, I order 30 PPI Black. I've been very happy with them. The Jetlifter Tubes work very well. A little pricey but they should last forever. The owner Dr. Stephan Tanner is a renowned researcher/ hobbyist and is a pleasure to deal with.

2 minutes ago, pedrofisk said:

Thanks guys, I am hoping to build them myself to help with the overall cost of the fishroom build but it's good to have a solid proven backup.

if you google 2" Reticulated Foam, 30 PPI 48" X 108" you should be able to find a 2 pack for 490$

Enough to make 80 x 10 gallon matten filters if you are precise with your cuts, so only about 6$ a filter + the cost of the lift tube, but you'd end up with 70 more filters than you'd need.

I'd just spend the 250$ ish for 10 that are precut with all the parts included.

I ordered mine directly from China. It took a few weeks to get to me but it was quite cheap. I am not sure if I would do it again but that is working for me right now. I can give you a link for that as well if you are interested but they do not speak English so ordering is not easy. 

Here is a source I have found but not checked up on - https://www.thefoamfactory.com/opencellfoam/filter.html

They sell the correct width and density so that should work. Whether they are legit or not I cannot guarantee. 

Otherwise something like this will certainly work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/50X50X4cm-3-Density-Black-Filtration-Foam-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Filter/264820888552?hash=item3da88e13e8:g:21oAAOSwQGVdFeDf

• Thanks 1

I go with CLL Pet Supplies on ebay. They ship fast every time I order something from them.  23x17" fits two 20L or one per 20H to 55.  But I do go with Swiss Tropicals for their JetLifter tubes.  They do create more lift with less air, so my air pump can go to more tanks than with homemade PVC lift tubes.