Top Aquarists' Tank Parameters

1 minute ago, Brandy said:

Hey that is a cool thing. But I don't understand the pH- column? what do those numbers refer to? Also are all these tanks with CO2 injection?

Yes to CO2 and the pH-is the drop from degassed CO2 to maxed CO2.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Ahhh, Ok, that makes total sense. 

I read another article from Tom Barr; where he said you can use the estimated index dosing for low-tech tanks at 1/3 to 1/4 a normal dosing. FYI

What's great about this table is the ratios.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @gardenman, there is a video that I could not find unfortunately of when Cory did exactly that in one of his old outdoor ponds. If I remember correctly, the par reading was way high though. It was not even comparable to our aquariums with artificial lighting haha hopefully someone knows which video I am talking about and they can link it here. 

I think that most commonly when we use PAR for planted tanks, that the units we are measuring in are micro-mols per meter squared per second, which is equivalent to the slightly more accurate and technical term PPFD (photosynthetic photon flux density). If that's the case, then yes, sunlight has a much higher ppfd than even the strongest planted tank lights (at least according to this one source I quickly found): https://www.ledtonic.com/blogs/guides/sunlight-ppfd-measured-over-an-afternoon

Video about units for PAR vs PPF vs PPFD:

I feel like we should start saying PPFD instead of PAR, but I've never actually used a PAR meter and don't know what units they give for results. I know that on plantedtank.net, I've started to see PPFD used more, though PAR is still commonly in use.