Failed heater almost cooked my fish

Errk25

Noticed one if my tanks was a few of degrees higher than usual a couple of days ago. Didn’t think that much of it as it’s warming up around here but we haven’t used the AC yet. Usually keep tanks 76-78. Went to do water changes today and as soon as I touched the water I knew that same tank was way high. It was 93. Pulled heater out right away and it was very warm. Got temp down with slow water changes to about 83. Leaving lid off and turned the overhead fan on to cool the rest if the way.  Fish seem ok. Guppies, lamb chop rasboras, and plecos. It was an Aqueon Pro 150 watt heater about two years old. Glad I caught it in time. Threw a 50 watt heater I had in there for now until I get another one. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I have a bunch of $30 inkbird heater controllers for this exact reason. There was a guy, Giga, on nano-reef.com that made the coolest mangrove island saltwater tank. It ended up crashing because a heater failed and cooked the inhabitants. They also have wifi models for slightly more money, I'm trying one out now.

Glad you caught yours in time to avert catastrophe!

Edited by ererer
  • Like 2

Just curious....was it the newer Aqueon Pro (The one w/ the light in the top adjustment knob), or the older model which has the light on the body of the heater and the blue knob?

I ask because I am using both currently, and absolutely hate the newer model ones. They fluctuate way too much for my liking, and the calibration is way off. The older ones seem far better quality.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, quikv6 said:

Just curious....was it the newer Aqueon Pro (The one w/ the light in the top adjustment knob), or the older model which has the light on the body of the heater and the blue knob?

I ask because I am using both currently, and absolutely hate the newer model ones. They fluctuate way too much for my liking, and the calibration is way off. The older ones seem far better quality.

It was a newer one with the light on top that failed. I have an couple of older ones too with the blue knob on top that have been running longer. I like the lights better on the older one too.

Edited by Errk25

One of the MANY reasons I favor a setups that do not require supplemental heating.  After many years in this hobby, I have begun to realize that the "Walstadt Method" (no heater, no filter, lots of plants with a natural soil-based substrate and intelligent use of lighting, plus smaller species of fish - in small quantities) is the way to go for me.

• Like 2