Your favorite tank and why...

FrozenFins

A few months ago @Fish Folk made an excellent thread on a 1 minute video of your favorite tank. But how about some pictures! Post pictures of your favorite tank. This could be a tank that you had 20 years ago or a tank you setup yesterday! and Why is it your favorite tank? What kind of fish or plants do you have in it? 

Heres my favorite tank. After rescaping this tank and adding some neon tetras its been a blast to watch. I like it for a few reasons:

• The Plants are growing FANTASTICLLY
  • Hugo is such a goof ball...
  • Matnience is EASYY. A waterchange every week or two and THATS IT!

20210425_213149.jpg.ae19394f582ff8f35f76368c7aad50c3.jpg

Stocked with...

• Male Halfmoon Betta (I think... idk if its halfmoon)
  • 5 Neon Tetras

Planted with...

• Hygrophillia Compact
  • Varias Anubias Species
  • Red Melon Sword (or some type of sword...)
  • Hygrophillia Siamensis
  • Salvania (Giant Duckweed)

• Like 8
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, James Black said:

A few months ago @Fish Folk made an excellent thread on a 1 minute video of your favorite tank. But how about some pictures! Post pictures of your favorite tank. This could be a tank that you had 20 years ago or a tank you setup yesterday! and Why is it your favorite tank? What kind of fish or plants do you have in it? 

Heres my favorite tank. After rescaping this tank and adding some neon tetras its been a blast to watch. I like it for a few reasons:

• The Plants are growing FANTASTICLLY
  • Hugo is such a goof ball...
  • Matnience is EASYY. A waterchange every week or two and THATS IT!

20210425_213149.jpg.ae19394f582ff8f35f76368c7aad50c3.jpg

Stocked with...

• Male Halfmoon Betta (I think... idk if its halfmoon)
  • 5 Neon Tetras

Planted with...

• Hygrophillia Compact
  • Varias Anubias Species
  • Red Melon Sword (or some type of sword...)
  • Hygrophillia Siamensis
  • Salvania (Giant Duckweed)

Love this! super dumb question . . . (embarrassed to ask!) . . . I've never worked with a matter filter. It looks sharp, and I know a lot of great aquarists (Dean Tweedle, Ted Judy, etc) like them.

Can you very basically explain how you set yours up?

• Like 1

My favorite tank, still, is my 29 gal. U.S. Native Tank.

• Eco Complete Substrate 
  • Emperor 280 HOB
  • Small sponge filter 
  • Mopani wood piece 
  • Mexican Beach Pebbles
  • Rounded landscaping stones 
  • Dried Oak Leaves collected from off-road locations 

Plants included are . . .

• Valisneria Americana (I sell pieces once it spreads too much)
  • Melon Sword 
  • Bronze Crypt
  • Some other Sword I cannot remember 

Parameters and Stocking . . .

• Room temp water - ca. 70 - degrees (no heater) 
  • Stocked with 25-30 Rainbow Shiners 
  • 1 pair of Rainbow Darters 
  • 1 pair of Florida Flagfish

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 2.45.56 PM.png

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Love this! super dumb question . . . (embarrassed to ask!) . . . I've never worked with a matter filter. It looks sharp, and I know a lot of great aquarists (Dean Tweedle, Ted Judy, etc) like them.

Can you very basically explain how you set yours up?

It was SUPER EASY. 

Inside of the filter two compartments. One is for the filter media and the other is for the heater/ pump head. Attacthed to the pump is some silicone tubing that it attacthed to the nozzle. You can't really see the nozzle in the picture because its coverd up to reduce the HEAVY flow. One downside with these filters.

The filter media consists of Biological Filter Media (biomax), Chemical Filtration (Actvivated Carbon), Mechanical Filtration (sponge). I wont lie filter matneince can be a bit of a pain.

image.png.a42b7ca521ba8b08dbc9e7c3289cf19e.png

The filter media is in a mesh bags placed in the sponge. The sponge has a small hook to grab it when pulling it out from the tank to clean.

I put the heater in this compartment circled below:

image.png.6c9ff86f6352528afdefe36cf0183e31.png

I used the tetra pre-set heaters and it was a SQUEEZE. I really jammed it in there. I've heard from other aquarists that they couldnt fit their heater in there. It also takes longer to heat up the water when its in the filter I find.

I like but also dont like the dimensions of the fluval spec. If I got a normal 5 gallon aquarium I could fit 2-3 5 gallons on the surface i have the fluval spec on. But with the fluval spec on I can barely fit another 5 gallon.

But I do like how big it seems, the 12" length wise is a good dimension when your not looking for other tanks to go beside it.

I dont understand how its a 5 gallon and its has so much flow. It seems that most nano fish don't like HEAVY flow and so you'll probably need to make some adjustments. Its also not shrimp safe, it seems that because its only a 5gallon it should be...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I only have 2 display tanks, so this one is my favorite. It’s a 56 gallon. I currently have it stocked with:

10 rummy nose tetras

20 cardinal tetras

1 apisto macmasteri pair

3 sterbai cory

4 amano shrimp 

red cherry shrimp ( they are getting massacred by the Macmasteri) 

plants:

java fern

java fern sunrise

anubias nana 

Anubias nana petit

trident fern 

fissidens  Moss

java moss

bucephalandra green wavy and red mini 

flame sword 

bacopa caroliniana 

Crypt lucens

one other can’t remember the name  haha

its a high tech setup that has plagued me with BBA the whole time. Can’t get it under control  but it’s my first tank larger than 5 gallons  

213681B9-5F4D-4AAC-9EF5-2DA43255FD7F.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Love 1

My fav tank is my 75, even more so now that I moved my giant sword plant into it. I can't wait for the java fern and bolbitis to grow in. It's home to two senegal bichirs (one normal, one albino), a ctenopoma and a blood parrot. An electric blue acara and super red bristlenose are waiting in the wings to grow up some more before joining them. 

As for why it's my fav, well it does house two of my three favorite fish. It's a work in progress plant-wise, so I just fuss over this tank the most. 

PXL_20210424_230315979.jpg

• Like 9

My favorite tank is my 29 gallon "jungle" community. Not quite a jungle yet, but it's getting there! It mainly has guppy/endler hybrids and Corydoras, with a siamese flying fox, an amano shrimp, some otos, and a colony of assassin snails. It's my favorite mostly because it's the only tank I have with a defined theme and scape and it also has the most activity and color.

292668108_29GallonPlantedJungleCommunity2-27-2021.JPG.595d32938f27cf8213981491aff41cd7.JPG

• Like 6

My favorite is my 40 gallon breeder, it is the reason I decided to finally join this fish forum. I had never been part of a forum before. 

Other than that reason, it is my favorite because: 

-Ease of maintenance, I can go a month with only feeding my fish and shrimp, topping off and have great water parameters. No water changes or even cleaning the front glass. It is also dirted so I do not need to worry about adding in any fertilizers. 
-It has become a jungle and I love the jungle look. 
-It houses my favorite fish, sterbai corydoras. They are also very active in this aquarium. 
-The crypts have been sending out flowers. 
-40 breeders are my favorite commonly available aquarium size due to the footprint. 

Livestock:

-5 Sterbai Corys & a few hundred red cherry shrimp 

Aquarium Plants: 

-Dwarf Aquarium Lily, Bucephalandra Maia, Cryptocoryne Purpurea, Anubias Barteri, Anubias Heterophyll

Riparium Plants:

-Areca Palm and Golden Pothos

811625BC-C02B-4D1D-A94C-715DAEB5E42A.gif.48945f6992c5ac93636319cb87b4d849.gif

• Like 5
  • Love 2

@Hobbit I made a thread for this tank called “Dirted 40 Breeder Riparium” and I showed how I set up this tank including a detailed build of the baskets for the emersed plants. They are essentially plastic sponge holders meant for a kitchen sink lined with black canvas hanging on with steel wire. I filled them with expanded clay balls as the growing medium. 

I hope that helps! If you have any questions about it, feel free to send me a direct message, I will gladly do my best to help. 

• Like 1

Love seeing the photos here. Always amazing tanks to drool over. 

My favorite tank is currently my little 5.5 gallon nano jungle stocked with Neocaridina, Blue Neon Rasboras, and a mix of snails. It's so low maintenance other than clearing the water lettuce every week, and it just looks so natural. Hard to get a good picture of the rasboras though, quick little buggers, but when the light hits them just right, they're gorgeous.

20210428_205559.jpg

• Like 4