Apisto outside for summer?

Nate s

Thoughts on putting a few apisto fry (about 1/4 inch now) outside in my in ground outdoor pond? I put guppies out too and they did well last year. Floating plants cover about 80%, I live in northern kentucky so summers starting in late may/ early June are about 75-85 day/60-70 at night. July and August up those numbers by 10, September a lot like June just drier. 

the pond is in ground, shade most of the day.  in sun only for later afternoon early evening for a few hours. During the hottest of July last year the highest the top of the water was 80-82. It’s about 5ft by 3 ft with a depth on the deep end of about 24” (so likely a few degrees cooler down there) and the shallow side is about 8-10”.  For gallons my guess is like 90-110??? 

Anyone have any experience or suggestions/think it will work? I want to experiment with throwing 5-6 unsexed fry to see what happens  

88D49513-81EF-41E0-90D1-6F671245673D.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nate s said:

Thoughts on putting a few apisto fry (about 1/4 inch now) outside in my in ground outdoor pond? I put guppies out too and they did well last year. Floating plants cover about 80%, I live in northern kentucky so summers starting in late may/ early June are about 75-85 day/60-70 at night. July and August up those numbers by 10, September a lot like June just drier. 

the pond is in ground, shade most of the day.  in sun only for later afternoon early evening for a few hours. During the hottest of July last year the highest the top of the water was 80-82. It’s about 5ft by 3 ft with a depth on the deep end of about 24” (so likely a few degrees cooler down there) and the shallow side is about 8-10”.  For gallons my guess is like 90-110??? 

Anyone have any experience or suggestions/think it will work? I want to experiment with throwing 5-6 unsexed fry to see what happens  

88D49513-81EF-41E0-90D1-6F671245673D.jpeg

I’d suggest putting a very secure netting over it to protect from birds and coons.

Apistos can do well outside, but their cycle and growth speed is much slower than Livebearers. I suggest you begin with nearly adult stock. One male to three female ratio. Cover the surface with water lettuce. Cover the bottom with leaf litter (oak) and a few caves. 

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 2

I don’t have an oak tree (they are everywhere but the oak leaves are gone since it’s spring) can I put some magnolia leaves in it? I have a magnolia tree with some dead leaves still around the base. Also, I don’t use any fertilizers or anything. I dump dirty fish water on my plants during any dry season 😎

10 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

I’d suggest putting a very secure netting over it to protect from birds and coons.

Apistos can do well outside, but their cycle and growth speed is much slower than Livebearers. I suggest you begin with nearly adult stock. One male to three female ratio. Cover the surface with water lettuce. Cover the bottom with leaf litter (oak) and a few caves. 

Oh I wasn’t really trying to breed I was actually just seeing if I put them out there if they would grow faster. Most of my fry are about 1/2 inch but there are 5-10 that are runts and with extra room and some mosquito larvae I was experimenting with growth rates to catch up to the others. I am still 5-7 weeks away from being able to put them outside 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nate s said:

I don’t have an oak tree (they are everywhere but the oak leaves are gone since it’s spring) can I put some magnolia leaves in it? I have a magnolia tree with some dead leaves still around the base. Also, I don’t use any fertilizers or anything. I dump dirty fish water on my plants during any dry season 😎

I'd make sure there are no pesticides as well. And if you are getting them from close to the fence line, id worry about what your neighbors are spraying/spreading. I use leaf litter for my reptiles, and buy it online due to concerns I have. Also because I spread pesticides in my yard (my endless battle with the fire ants...). If you can get to a spot where you can guarantee there are no pesticides or fertilizers, like a big batch of woods, you would be safe. Can't say if magnolia is ok for aquariums, but I use it for my reptiles and isopods.

Also, I'd give it a shot to see how they'd grow out, especially if you aren't worried about breeding. They may pick off some of your guppy fry. 

• Like 1