60 gallon ideas

RobHart28

I've got a new 60 gallon and I'm looking for ideas on what to put in it with the Opaline Gourami I'm going to start with. This will be a planted tank but still waiting on elements to arrive before I can get her going. All input welcome. Thanks in advance!

20210412_195431~2.jpg

Edited by RobHart28
  • Like 1

My question is why 5-6 nerites? I understand a few but 5-6? How much algae will there be? Anyways, it all depends on your circumstances how much fish you can put in there. But you can put a lot in there since it is 60 gallons. Just make sure you proper filtration for them. Also, where di you get the tank from? I remember getting one from Petco a while back and not being to reach the bottom to plant anything without getting my whole arm wet....I think either I have short arms or that tank is tall...lol

1 minute ago, Demobanana said:

My question is why 5-6 nerites? I understand a few but 5-6? How much algae will there be? Anyways, it all depends on your circumstances how much fish you can put in there. But you can put a lot in there since it is 60 gallons. Just make sure you proper filtration for them. Also, where di you get the tank from? I remember getting one from Petco a while back and not being to reach the bottom to plant anything without getting my whole arm wet....I think either I have short arms or that tank is tall...lol

That is how many I usely put in 60g with bristlenose for algae control

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demobanana said:

I got mine from petsmart and it is quite tall. I had to use a spatula to spread substrate and bought tweezers when I go to plant anything. Won't be adding any algae eaters for a couple weeks at least.

Just now, Colu said:

That is how many I usely put in 60g with bristlenose for algae control

Was aiming for cory cat for algae control heard they were efficient in a school that's why I have sand down. Going to be adding a planted "island" at the back center for a display. Would you say the bristlenose is better?

Ok, I don't know how to quote since I literally joined last night, but 5-6 nerites and a bristlenose for algae? How much algae do you regularly have? I have a tiger nerite and 2 horned nerites in my 10g and they barely take care of the algae on the front glass, I think pond snails are faster. Also, Rob, I don't think cories eat that much algae, BN plecos do it much better. Plus they look goofy.

• Thanks 1

My tank heavily planted and with correct amount of fertilizer and light I don't get much algae

3 minutes ago, Demobanana said:

Ok, I don't know how to quote since I literally joined last night, but 5-6 nerites and a bristlenose for algae? How much algae do you regularly have? I have a tiger nerite and 2 horned nerites in my 10g and they barely take care of the algae on the front glass, I think pond snails are faster. Also, Rob, I don't think cories eat that much algae, BN plecos do it much better. Plus they look goofy.

Edited by Colu

as for how many fish, well that depends. you have to consider filtration, plants, how often you want to do water changes etc. the long often stated 1" of fish per gallon is a basic starting point, but even it doesnt mean much. in 60 gallons, you could have 1 or 2 aggressive fish, or with plants and filtration and air stones, you could have 100 guppies.

Really Colu? If you don't have that much algae then why do you have more than enough of an algae crew? I mean, its fine if you like em, obviously, but it seems so weird you have so much for so little.

Also, basic plants? Sounds like enough light and ferts and they'll be off in no time!

6 minutes ago, RobHart28 said:

Was aiming for cory cat for algae control heard they were efficient in a school that's why I have sand down. Going to be adding a planted "island" at the back center for a display. Would you say the bristlenose is better?

Normally, Corydoras won't eat algae. In my experience they do not at all. But it is not that they are more efficient in a school, but they must live in a school to display proper and natural behavior. Also, like what was said above, Corydoras are great little fish get a school of around 6-10 of one species and they'll look great! I would say get the bristlenose as well. It is not going to overload your stocking.

Just a side note. @Jungle Fan has had experience with Corydoras taking care of some of his algae problems.

57 minutes ago, RobHart28 said:

I've got a new 60 gallon and I'm looking for ideas on what to put in it with the Opaline Gourami I'm going to start with. This will be a planted tank but still waiting on elements to arrive before I can get her going. All input welcome. Thanks in advance!

20210412_195431~2.jpg

An opaline gourami might get too aggressive for a community tank. Try out a honey gourami or maybe a pearl gourami instead, as these are much more peaceful.

So here is a general stocking plan for your tank (assuming you get plenty of plants):

• Honey Gourami (single or a pair)
  • Neon Tetras (10)
  • Harlequin Rasboras (10)
  • Guppy (two males, three females)
  • Corydoras (10 of one species)
  • Bristlenose Pleco (1)
  • Nerite Snail (3-6)

Of course, there are plenty of other options for schooling fish, these are just placeholders. Just ask if you want different ideas! I hope this helps, and good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Normally, Corydoras won't eat algae. In my experience they do not at all. But it is not that they are more efficient in a school, but they must live in a school to display proper and natural behavior. Also, like what was said above, Corydoras are great little fish get a school of around 6-10 of one species and they'll look great! I would say get the bristlenose as well. It is not going to overload your stocking.

Just a side note. @Jungle Fan has had experience with Corydoras taking care of some of his algae problems.

An opaline gourami might get too aggressive for a community tank. Try out a honey gourami or maybe a pearl gourami instead, as these are much more peaceful.

So here is a general stocking plan for your tank (assuming you get plenty of plants):

• Honey Gourami (single or a pair)
  • Neon Tetras (10)
  • Harlequin Rasboras (10)
  • Guppy (two males, three females)
  • Corydoras (10 of one species)
  • Bristlenose Pleco (1)
  • Nerite Snail (3-6)

Of course, there are plenty of other options for schooling fish, these are just placeholders. Just ask if you want different ideas! I hope this helps, and good luck!

Thanks, I'm unfortunately seriously limited in fish selection here in Missouri without driving at least an hour away and most places are plum out of fish. My second showpiece choice was for Angelfish.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RobHart28 said:

Thanks, I'm unfortunately seriously limited in fish selection here in Missouri without driving at least an hour away and most places are plum out of fish. My second showpiece choice was for Angelfish.

Okay then an angelfish might work in place of the honey gouramis. Just replace the neon tetras with either more harlequin rasboras, or something like cherry barbs if you can find them.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Demobanana said:

Really Colu? If you don't have that much algae then why do you have more than enough of an algae crew? I mean, its fine if you like em, obviously, but it seems so weird you have so much for so little.

Also, basic plants? Sounds like enough light and ferts and they'll be off in no time!

I always have bristlenose in my tank great catfish and snails you will always have some  algae but right nutrients and light and algae eater it can be kept to a minimum

Edited by Colu

1 hour ago, RobHart28 said:

20210412_195431~2.jpg

With your background, I’d buy Mexican beach pebbles and gather a few smaller round landscaping stones. See photos.  Let the background you e got up sort of “spill” out into the tank. Then plant it liberally with Valisneria Americana.

For tank mates to join a Opaline Gourami... go with a school of Brilliant Rasboras, and some nice loaches. 

C57202CE-D805-48CD-BB8E-A81F84E82919.jpeg

F5C5FBD3-3731-44EA-BD02-12A414A3712D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1