Thoughts on tail of Bolivian ram

PattysAquatics

I bought a group of Bolivian rams last week and one of thems back tail is smaller. I don’t think it’s fungus cause nothing has grown and have treated the tank with the quarantine trio. Wondering if it’s tail got chewed up from where it came or maybe a birth defect?  It seems completely .. any thoughts? 

A0A279D6-1F0A-43D7-B5FA-A5347F59F0EE.jpeg

Fin rot. Maybe chewed up, and subsequently infected... maybe just got fin rot from being housed in poor water quality. It can be more difficult to heal than you think. In my experience, not always very contagious... but water quality is important, and medicine can help.

• Thanks 1

Since you already treated with medication I would just watch the fish.   If it is eating and seems healthy that is.   Hard to say what the original cause was, but I don’t think it is a birth defect.   With a good diet and water conditions and little stress you may start to see some new growth.  Possible scare tissue and most likely never going to win best of show.   But who knows....

Good Luck 

• Thanks 1

I have a female angelfish that one my cats snatched out of an aquarium and played with for a bit. After I got her back in the aquarium sometime later all of her fins melted off. That was about six weeks ago and her fins have now have grown back in normally. If your fish is otherwise healthy and in good water and eating, there is hope.

• Thanks 1