LED Light Dying?

They can but if it is truely getting darker the problem is more likely with the power regulator (the part that changes the ac current to dc current). Unless it is really dim i wouldn't worry about it too much given your plants as they all will grow in next to no light.... However it might be that your light will eventually need to be replaced. On the bright side (pun intended) there are a lot of options available now that are not terribly expensive including an updated model of the beamsworth.

• Like 1

Thanks so much. I will give the glass tops a good cleaning. They are pretty clean right now but maybe I can do more. 

Of course if the light is dying, I might be able to buy a new light with more programming options.

I really wish the plants were too tall, it is a tall 65 gallon. The crypts in it are shorter than the ones in my 49 gallon breeder with stingrays.

Most LEDs are rated at lasting 30,000-50,000 hours. If you use your lights ten hours a day for 365 days, that's 3,650 hours per year, so a good LED light should give you ten or so years. Power supplies tend to be a bit iffier, but in my experience, they either work 100% or they're dead. There's typically no middle ground with them.

• Like 1

I might have found the problem. The plastic on the back of the glass covers has holes where hang on back filters used to go. There were air bubbles popping underneath and water got inside my light. So I ordered replacement plastic covers. Also I am not sure whether the light will return to its previous brightness, it keeps going out entirely. 

I ordered a new stingray with the new timer from the Coop. I really like the stingrays on my other tanks anyway. It is a tall tank but I am not going for serious plant growth anyway.

• Like 1