Finally got my Ziss egg tumbler and loving it

Fishdude

I've hatched corydora eggs before in a sort of jury-rigged little tank with an airstone but I finally got an egg tumbler this weekend and I LOVE it. Took some doing to get it set up but I hatched another 10 or 15 eggs this morning after transferring them to the tumbler. It's so easy to see the eggs in there and gauge what needs to be pulled and what's going to he a successful hatch. I highly recommend this product if you like breeding corydoras!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Fishdude said:

I've hatched corydora eggs before in a sort of jury-rigged little tank with an airstone but I finally got an egg tumbler this weekend and I LOVE it. Took some doing to get it set up but I hatched another 10 or 15 eggs this morning after transferring them to the tumbler. It's so easy to see the eggs in there and gauge what needs to be pulled and what's going to he a successful hatch. I highly recommend this product if you like breeding corydoras!

Agree!  I am using one right now for my second clutch of barbatus eggs.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 9/8/2021 at 9:48 AM, Vanish said:

I haven't researched egg tumblers at all. What do they do for you?

They keep a constant flow of water over the eggs to assist in hatching. Generally, they are used for species that lay eggs in a hidden area and tend them (i.e. Ancistrus or mouthbrooding Cichlids) so you can pull them from the parents and then keep an eye on them and watch them develop. 

• Thanks 1

Well crap the corycat eggs  I had in there funguses over in a rush leaving house today for work with cranky toddler and pinched the air line to much and it stopped my tumbling 🤦‍♀️😭 so those eggs are off to side in bowl method praying to save them. But my corydoras must love me Bc they layed a tong more eggs on the tumbler itself haha 😂 

Edited by Georgiapeach88
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

image.jpg.710af8f1f206afeab6c06876c2e4446b.jpgWell an update I have 94 🥰😂🥴albino corycat fry. The tumbler was the best thing to get them to not fuzz over. And I’m now able to pick out good eta verses bad. Although I did have some of the whites ones saved in a tub of water with mb in there and got at least 10 more fry from the eggs I thought were bad. 

Edited by Georgiapeach88
Added a pic

• 6 months later...

Question for anyone who can answer! How do you harvest the eggs to put in your tumbler? With your fingers? Scrape off glass/rocks/mop with a credit card? I'm hoping to have cory eggs soon and am scared to touch them! I only have experience with cichlid breeding and never harvested the eggs. My corys have spawned once and I didn't notice until the fry were about 2 weeks old and I hope they go for it again soon. Was thinking to buy this tumbler in advance. Also, besides feeding, any triggers for cory spawning like temp, water change, etc?

When it comes to corydoras eggs you can roll them off with your fingers. They are not super adhered to where you'd need to scrape them. Gently use your fingertip with light pressure and roll them and they should stick to your finger. From there just add light pressure to where you want them to stick and roll them onto the surface.

I always make my water changes few degrees cooler, that triggers spawning. Feed heavier as well few days before and after helps too. I roll eggs off with fingers or card. My tank twmp fluctuated between 78-80o gotten my tank as cool as 75o during a large water change but usually couple degrees lower does the trick. 

On 5/2/2022 at 2:15 PM, corydorablecaliaquariums said:

How do you harvest the eggs to put in your tumbler? With your fingers? Scrape off glass/rocks/mop with a credit card?

If it's just 1 or 2 eggs at a time, I'll use my fingers.

If it's a bunch, I have a bad habit of dropping some. So I have a little shrimp net that I'll drag along the glass to collect them.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 8:56 AM, Tihshho said:

They keep a constant flow of water over the eggs to assist in hatching. Generally, they are used for species that lay eggs in a hidden area and tend them (i.e. Ancistrus or mouthbrooding Cichlids) so you can pull them from the parents and then keep an eye on them and watch them develop. 

I have been hatching my cory eggs in a fluval hang on breeder box. Is there any advantages I'm missing out on by using that instead of the tumbler?

• 6 months later...
On 5/8/2022 at 11:14 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I have been hatching my cory eggs in a fluval hang on breeder box. Is there any advantages I'm missing out on by using that instead of the tumbler?

I think it was bentley's video that is pretty good detail about why this on in particular is "worth it" so to speak.   The big thing is the ability to tune and to very finely control the flow so the eggs vibrate and it's difficult (moreso) to have fungus issues.  I just used mine for the first time and it's not the easiest thing if you've never used it, but I am pretty happy with the purchase.

Does anyone have video or have one of these in use right now and care to help out a newbie try to set this thing up right?

I have a few questions and I don't know where to direct them to!  (I'll make a separate thread to directly ask them for my situation, but I think it might help for myself and other beginners trying to get the most out of this thing)