Why is my male Veiltail betta fish (named Aurora) scared of me/ always hiding from me???

1710399643_Aurorafulltank.JPG.1f15d2367a73697970bca3f70723de4c.JPGI just got Aurora like today. Right now it is 5:54 PM (I bought him from Aquarium Co-op at 3/27/20, at 10:20-ish AM) Aurora backs away from me and hides under the crowd of water lettuce on the surface every time I come watch Aurora to see if he's doing good. By the way, this is my first fish in a 5 gal tank. There is no other fish in the tank but Aurora. There is a betta hammock, a feeding ring, some plants, one marimo moss ball, crypt. tropica, water lettuce, nano sponge filter with airline tubing, stingray led lights, a nano heater, and soft small gravel with beneficial bacteria. Every thing is normal, no ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, but the ph is 7.5. I don't know why he's scared of me and keeps hiding. It makes me worry a lot.

Can anyone help or explain why Aurora is doing that?
Jane Oh

Edited by Jane Oh

15 hours ago, JamesB said:

Is this fish new? Sometimes it will take a little while for a fish to get used to its new human. Just spend some time at the tank, feed him, try not to make any sudden fast moves and it will be become your most personable fish.

and yes, it is Aurora's second day here and I'm a newbie to fishkeeping so I don't know why he's always avoiding me whenever I come near him

Edited by Jane Oh

4 minutes ago, Dwayne Brown said:

That light looms pretty bright maybe turn it down or let the water lettuce spread. How big is you aquarium? Perhaps you could add some small dither fish like ebdlers livebearers or neon tetras.

My aquarium is 5.5 gallons and I can't really turn the light down, as there is no light settings. I can turn it OFF though! I can leave the water lettuce to grow and spread more I guess.

Edited by Jane Oh

Welcome to the hobby!  Your betta is probably just getting used to the new surroundings and settling in.  Give the betta a week or two to see how it adjusts.  The plants will fill in over time and this will help make the betta more comfortable.  The Bettas should eat any of the three foods listed.

Try raising the betta leaf hammock to 3/4" below the surface or just enough room for the betta to get on the leaf.  Bettas like to rest at the water surface overnight.  My bettas rest on top of the tiger lily leaves or wedge themselves into the very top of the Water Sprite/Elodea overnight.  Examples photos taken tonight - I sure there are better examples somewhere on the web as well:

Top view of a male betta resting on the floating plants at the surface of the tank:

20210328_195438.jpg.eae91b8cdb2e93ac4cc7b9d88581d749.jpg

Side view of the male resting on the floating plants with the guppies getting in the way.

20210328_200936.jpg.a54290d7871ce96ca6bc0ffbc22561da.jpg

Some dither fish may help bring your betta out and will let the betta know when it is time to eat if you are looking for a community tank.  One of the three pygmy Corydoras species, Ember Tetras, or Green Neon Tetras make good tank mates, will fit in a 5.5 gal tank, and are suitable tankmates for most bettas (there are no guarantees that the betta will accept them though).  Regular Neon Tetras and Corydoras will be large for a 5.5 gal. when full grown.  I recommend checking out the blog for ideas and do your research because a betta and 5.5 gal tank combination limits potential tank mates.

Top 5 Nano Aquarium Fish to Keep in a 5-Gallon Fish Tank - Aquarium Co-Op

5 Best Tank Mates for Betta Fish in a Community Aquarium - Aquarium Co-Op

Edited by Matt_

2 minutes ago, Matt_ said:

Welcome to the hobby!  Your betta is probably just getting used to the new surroundings and settling in.  Give the betta a week or two to see how it adjusts.  The plants will fill in over time and this will help make the betta more comfortable.  The Bettas should eat any of the three foods listed.

Try raising the betta leaf hammock to 3/4" below the surface or just enough room for the betta to get on the leaf.  Bettas like to rest at the water surface overnight.  My bettas rest on top of the tiger lily leaves or wedge themselves into the very top of the Water Sprite/Elodea overnight.  Examples photos taken tonight - I sure there are better examples somewhere on the web as well:

Top view of a male betta resting on the floating plants at the surface of the tank:

20210328_195438.jpg.eae91b8cdb2e93ac4cc7b9d88581d749.jpg

Side view of the male resting on the floating plants with the guppies getting in the way.

20210328_200936.jpg.a54290d7871ce96ca6bc0ffbc22561da.jpg

Some dither fish may help bring your betta out and will let the betta know when it is time to eat if you are looking for a community tank.  One of the three pygmy Corydoras species, Ember Tetras, or Green Neon Tetras make good tank mates, will fit in a 5.5 gal tank, and are suitable tankmates for most bettas (there are no guarantees that the betta will accept them though).  Regular Neon Tetras and Corydoras will be large for a 5.5 gal. when full grown.  I recommend checking out the blog for ideas and do your research because a betta and 5.5 gal tank combination limits potential tank mates.

Top 5 Nano Aquarium Fish to Keep in a 5-Gallon Fish Tank - Aquarium Co-Op

5 Best Tank Mates for Betta Fish in a Community Aquarium - Aquarium Co-Op

20210328_200348.jpg

Okay, thanks Matt!