Aquarium salt -> cure all?

Hemali

Hello, 

I currently have a 5 gallon and 10 gallon planted display tanks, and I am setting up a 55 gallon display, 5.5 gallon fish quarantine and 2.5 gallon plant quarantine. The 5.5 will only have plastic plants so I can treat fish before adding them to a main tank.

Is aquarium salt a good over all treatment for fungal, bacterial, and parasitic infections? How much would you recommend using? Have read 1tbsp per 10gallons and 1tbsp per 5 gallons.

Also, are there certain fish or inverts I should use aquarium salt on? Ive heard mixed this about thia too. 

Edited by Hemali
added another question relating to post

No. I mean, I think a lot of aquarists thought that back in the 1970's, but science has prevailed since then. :classic_biggrin:

Specific conditions will indicate specific treatments. And even then, the answer might be different if you have any invertebrates that you want to keep... or if you have any scaleless fish.

• Administrators

I personally believe salt is one of the strongest weapons we have in the aquarium hobby. For me science proves it's the most broad spectrum treatment available to us. It won't do anything for internal parasites, but for external parasites, fungus and bacterial it will affect quite a few. In the absence of plants I find it to be a very valuable tool. We use it regularly in the store and in my own personal fish room. We start with 1 tablespoon per 3 gallons and go up to 1 tablespoon per gallon. I've done videos and articles about it, i'll leave our salt blog article here:  https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-salt-for-sick-fish