What would you breed in this tank??

Fish Folk

Just reset this 20 gal. No fish yet. I’m looking for suggestions for breeding. Here’s what I’m working with...

2x sponge filters/ Pea gravel + Crushed Coral / Large Rocks / Aged Driftwood / Pothos Roots hang in / Bronze Crypt / Hornwort / Water lettuce / Water from tap is soft / pH slides around depending on tank set up / can be heated or cold water tank

What fish would YOU enjoy trying to breed in this 20 gal?

B182C2E8-FCAE-4B06-9506-8902838957AB.jpeg

• Like 3

If I were being clever I would try for a high value fish--locally that would probably be something like an orange laser cory. But I really want to breed otos! Those guys are so adorable...

Alternatively, I would love to have a spare 20g (or even a 10g maybe) and divide it and try to breed pea puffers. I have a theory that if you could move them back and forth between tank sections, you might get fry more easily by virtue of preventing canniblaism. 

I have also been eyeing Odessa Barbs...

• Like 1

Got 2x pairs of Okefenokee Pygmy Sunfish already in the mail 😜 -- should arrive Thursday or Friday this week. Guy in Ohio sells U. S. Native fish (Jonah's Aquarium).

Inglorious Bettas has some nice, informative videos on breeding them. Every fish she gets into makes me fall in love with that species. I think it's just her enthusiasm is contagious.

I'm trying to make up my mind if I want them in this tank, or added to my 29 gal US Native tank (Rainbow Shiners + Rainbow Darters). I know that they'll just disappear wherever they end up. They're pretty private, secretive little fish. 

I kind of enjoy the brown grumpy look to this tank . . . I'm still not sure if I know what it wants . . . Maybe something from Greg Sage . . . 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DShelton said:

I would probably choose a mop spawning killifish like Gardneri (Fundulopanchax gardneri).

I'm working with Fundulopanchax Scheeli right now. They're very similar to the Gardneri. I pull the mop every few days, and collect the eggs. I've been experimenting with hatching methods. 

42 minutes ago, CalmedByFish said:

The Florida Flagfish are gorgeous! 

Agreed! I’m think of ordering a pair for the 29 gal with several other native US species (Rainbow Darters, and Rainbow Shiners) and putting the Pygmy Sunfish into the 20 gal that started this thread. Florida Flagfish are, from what I’ve heard, pretty good at eating certain types of algae. They need slightly higher (alkaline) pH for male fertility. Algae flakes / Kelp flakes are important in their diet rather than meaty foods. Pygmy Sunfish, on the other hand, need live foods almost exclusively. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...