Kirk

I have a 150 gallon tank. Water is soft 3-5. I want to keep Nerites maybe other snails but the fish I have are in their comfort zone. What can I do to help them survive? If I add a wonder shell or cuttle bone is that going to mess with my water hardness to a point my fish are stressed? I really don’t know how much these items effect the water the fish are in.

I've got soft water, too.  So far, I've used crushed coral in my HOB filter for my snails...and that seems to be successful!  I've also seen people put the coral in a media bag near their sponge filter.  I put 2 oz. in for my 5 gallon tank, and it worked great to raise the pH, GH, and KH...but not wildly.  I like to bag it because I can easily edit how much is in my tank if it's not having the effect I want it to have on my water stats.

I'm really interested in the wonder shells!  I just ordered some from the Co-Op...if you try them before I do, I'm interested to know how they work for you!

If you do get some Wonder Shells, I advise you use the size per gallon instructed on the order page at ACO. From what I've seen, the instructions on the packages themselves are a bit overkill. 

ACO's guidelines:

• 3 Pack (1/2 Ounce) - 1 shell per month for 5 to 10 gallon aquariums.
  • 2/5 Ounce - 1 shell per month for 20-30 gallon aquariums.
  • 1 1/3 Ounce - 1 shell per month for 40 to 55 gallon aquariums.
  • 2 1/4 Ounce - 1 shell per month for 75 and larger aquariums.
  • Like 1

Normally I have hard water but plants and wood have leached calcium.  I probably could do bigger water changes to remineralize the water, but I did get Wondershells and it has helped my snails and guppies.  (Probably my plants too.  The crypts are multiplying finally.)

I figure the shells dissolve as needed.  I bought the big ones and broke them in chunks.  I add another when the chunk dissolves.  The snails go right over and eat off them.

• Like 1

I don’t like change.  Just ask my wife and kids...   And I believe my fish don’t like it either, lol.  So, before changing what is working for you and your fish why not purchase two or three nerite snails and just watch them.  If things look like they might be going sideways then you can decide to change water parameters or return the animals to the pet shop.  I attached a photo of two of many nerite snails I have in my discus tank.   PH 7.2-GH 75-KH 50-60.   BFB2C291-A011-4ECF-8701-D2BC3AE16035.jpeg.d326d5df94a7c0576b32a9b3d66ad85a.jpeg56A56775-F53B-4886-B31F-535B665F1748.jpeg.0b8e8a8d29c73570cbff7a73ff62cb20.jpeg