Cracked Tank While Drilling...

Also, be careful how much pressure you’re putting into the drill and make sure you’re keeping the drill bit cool with water. You don’t need a ton of water, or even super cold water. But maintaining a simple puddle helps dissipate the heat caused by friction.  You’re probably doing both of those already but that’s the only other things I can thing of. 

Edited by tolstoy21

I know nothing about drilling into glass, however I saw a video featuring Cory (but it wasn't a co-op video) on drilling.   He gave some great advice.   Cory has one too that's much older.  Maybe it'll be helpful. 

I find myself hooked on watching things I'll never need to do. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 6:59 AM, Gideyon said:

I find myself hooked on watching things I'll never need to do. 

LOL I'm the same way. I watch videos on all sorts of DIY stuff that I'll never need or do. It's just fun to watch others do it, and maybe catch gems that are related to things I do or have planned. It's amazing what you can pick up that IS applicable from videos on things you'd never do yourself.

On 3/21/2021 at 2:40 PM, Patrick_G said:

Serpadesign on YouTube has some vids on rebuilding cracked tanks. 

Tanner is amazing when it comes to that sort of thing. He broke a 75g tank while drilling it. I would've cried, but he was like "oh well, we'll just build a different tank out of it" kind of thing. And he did!

• Like 1

Make sure not putting any pressure on the drill as you drill. I let the weight of the drill do the work. Plenty of water to cool the bit. Also, if the bit is dull it is more likely to cause a crack as it breaks through the backside of the pane. If you got one of the cheap bits from eBay or Amazon, they are only good for a couple of holes.