How to reduce flow from a filter

Chiclid addict

This will work for AquaClear filters,I cut a section from a 1 litre drink bottle section and slit to divide, slide it above and below the outflow.  The water will still come out the sides but the force is not as direct.  You can shorten the section to adapt it to fit.  I have Amano's in some tanks and worry about them getting up into them.. so I'm going to try putting a section of hard plastic between the filter medium and filter wall just high enough and narrow enough that the water will spill out around the sides again.  Or I will try @Chrisdis suggestion.    The outflow control on an AquaClear isn't always slow enough for some fish.  

*If you run a line of glue from a glue gun on top of the filter lid, and let it set before attaching,  the homemade flow control it will stay exactly where it's put.  

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

Edited by Trish
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trish said:

This will work for AquaClear filters,I cut a section from a 1 litre drink bottle section and slit to divide, slide it above and below the outflow.  The water will still come out the sides but the force is not as direct.  You can shorten the section to adapt it to fit.  I have Amano's in some tanks and worry about them getting up into them.. so I'm going to try putting a section of hard plastic between the filter medium and filter wall just high enough and narrow enough that the water will spill out around the sides again.  Or I will try @Chrisdis suggestion.    The outflow control on an AquaClear isn't always slow enough for some fish.  

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

Thanks I will definitely try this I’m also interested in how you are growing the plant in your filter 

• Like 2

Just now, Angelfishlover said:

Thanks I will definitely try this I’m also interested in how you are growing the plant in your filter 

@Angelfishlover as soon as the plant is rooted, it's coming out of the filter and going into the tank, I don't want to mess with cleaning sponges and roots! 

Just remember whatever method you use...   make sure it returns to the tank fast enough that you don’t put water on the floor.   No one needs or wants that.   
Maybe spend the money and purchase a HOB that you can adjust with your needs.   

Good Luck 

• Like 1

You can also put an object like a tall plant, piece of wood or attach a floating plastic item under where the water returns to the tank to disperse/diffuse the current.  That will not tax the motor of your HOB.  Irene has a video about doing that for her Axolotls when she had them.