Teeny Tiny Plants!

Look! I have miniature plants! No, but I almost killed them several years ago, they sent up these little babies as a last resort, now the little guys have not grown ONE BIT.  I DISTINCTLY remember these plants used to be bigger. I have sufficient lighting, and fertilizer. I am cheap, so I have neglected carbon dioxide...but I swear I bought Amazon swords and anubias nana...or was it barteri? I don't know anymore. Can you give me some advice for making them grow???

-edit: ran out of superglue-where can I find lots for cheap?

IMG_0261[1].JPG

Edited by Volcano

For the amazon swords I find that all they need to grow monsterious are root tabs. Amazon Swords are heavy root feeders and don't need a fertilizer and will do far much better with JUST root tabs. I would suggest root tabs like the Easy Root Tabs.

For the anubius, there isn't a whole lot you can do. Anubius nana petite are fairly small plants and on top of that are very slow growers. Just continue dosing your fertilizer, the root tabs wont do much for them as they are rhizome plants meaning that they grab the majority of their nutrients from the water colum.

• Thanks 1

The plants on the rocks appear to be Anubias Nana Petite. They don't grow quickly, but are pretty darn indestructible in my tanks. The two plants in the bottom left look more like Cryptocorynes to me than than sword plants. The top left one in particular. It looks like it has ruffled edges on the leaves. The other one could be a sword plant. The advice given by JamesB is dead on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, there are the "big three" ingredients in fertilizer in nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium. Nitrogen promotes green leafy growth and is very high in fertilizers for things like grass as a result. Phosphorous is more important for flower and fruit production, not a big issue in aquariums as a rule. Potassium is important for good root development and overall plant health. Most general purpose aquarium fertilizers have a lot of nitrogen (nitrates),  a tick of Phosphorous (might as well), and then a decent amount of potassium. If you're short on potassium, it'll hurt the plants. Magnesium and sulfur can also play pretty big roles in plant growth which is why some people add epsom salt to their water. (I don't but I've read of others doing so.) 

If your tanks are consistently low in potassium you might consider changing fish foods to one higher in potassium. You can supplement many of the lesser nutrients plants need by using a fish food that's richer in those ingredients. The fish will absorb what they need and poop out the excess which will then become part of your tank's ecosystem. It's the lazy person's way to supplement the tanks. Instead of having to remember to dose the tank with potassium, you're doing it every time you feed the fish. The more you feed the fish, the more you're supplementing the tank. If you have plecos (also knows as poop generating eating machines) and you feed them high potassium foods like spinach, sweet potato, zucchini, etc. you'll likely raise your potassium levels without even trying and have fat, happy plecos in the process. They will gorge on those foods and poop out loads of potassium. (Along with other stuff.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, gardenman said:

If your tanks are consistently low in potassium you might consider changing fish foods to one higher in potassium. You can supplement many of the lesser nutrients plants need by using a fish food that's richer in those ingredients. The fish will absorb what they need and poop out the excess which will then become part of your tank's ecosystem. It's the lazy person's way to supplement the tanks. Instead of having to remember to dose the tank with potassium, you're doing it every time you feed the fish. The more you feed the fish, the more you're supplementing the tank. If you have plecos (also knows as poop generating eating machines) and you feed them high potassium foods like spinach, sweet potato, zucchini, etc. you'll likely raise your potassium levels without even trying and have fat, happy plecos in the process. They will gorge on those foods and poop out loads of potassium. (Along with other stuff.)

Thanks for this suggestion.  Veggies coming up!  😊

• Like 1