I have mentioned here before, that I got this neat little 5 gallon tank that is coming along nicely. I added more plants/rocks over the weekend, and am looking for wood small enough as well. 

I was "hoping" I could put a single pea puffer in it? I know there are a few of you that have pea puffers. I would like to know your thoughts? Is this tank a good home for one? I am waiting on a few other things to add to it, but I don't want to take away any swimming space either. 

Ps. too the picture after I was playing with the plants/rocks.. its a bit cloudy, sorry 

20210307_191525.jpg

• Like 1

In the long run I vote yes to the puffer. But I would get the plants really growing, then I would get shrimp and small "pest" snails really really going. Once those are an established colony, THEN  add the puffer.

• Like 1

I think you'll be fine with a single pea puffer. I think it's more important to provide surface area and interesting nooks and crannies to explore than it is to provide large amounts of swimming space. Here's my 5g pea puffer tank, a bit more vertical than yours, but still chock full of places for snails to hide (and the puffer to find them).

PXL_20210203_231716795.jpg.d2004f8abca0598a26b42507de34ede8.jpg

You can also see how small that lil puffer is, even in this small tank. So I say get any pieces of rock or driftwood that you think look interesting and stuff it in! But definitely infest it with snails like trumpet snails and ramshorns for a good few weeks before letting the puffer loose.

• Like 3

I've got a pea puffer and three otos in a standard 5.5. They do very well. Nitrates tend to run a bit higher than I like (40-60) even with weekly water changes and lots of plants, but I blame my plant selection for that. No fast-growers in here, lol.

IMG_1285.JPG.3c470e509b00d67d92fab52886f92313.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG.23ba6e124ba682d32f10268ca5da4e4a.JPG

Eating some BBS:

• Like 2

I am not sure if its just me.. but scaping this itty bitty tank has harder than I expected. Stuff is either too big, or not the right look. I managed to get some wood that would fit. The opening is quite narrow on this tank, so getting in there is a bit of a challenge. I moved some rocks around, got a banana plant (its itty bitty) but its all I could find. There are still a lot of shipping delays so plants are not that easy to find. I added an air stone, and found this cute rock that has a hole in it.. IDK if its for the future fish, or because I liked it.. 

I think my only regret, is the SAND!!! Man.. every time I touch it.. its everywhere.. what are some of your tips for keeping that stuff clean.. 

20210309_152227.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Sandra the fish rookie said:

I am not sure if its just me.. but scaping this itty bitty tank has harder than I expected. Stuff is either too big, or not the right look. I managed to get some wood that would fit. The opening is quite narrow on this tank, so getting in there is a bit of a challenge. I moved some rocks around, got a banana plant (its itty bitty) but its all I could find. There are still a lot of shipping delays so plants are not that easy to find. I added an air stone, and found this cute rock that has a hole in it.. IDK if its for the future fish, or because I liked it.. 

I think my only regret, is the SAND!!! Man.. every time I touch it.. its everywhere.. what are some of your tips for keeping that stuff clean.. 

20210309_152227.jpg

It looks good! If it were my tank, I'd grab a few Crypts to put in the foreground. I love them!

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 5:27 PM, Kirsten said:

I think you'll be fine with a single pea puffer. I think it's more important to provide surface area and interesting nooks and crannies to explore than it is to provide large amounts of swimming space. Here's my 5g pea puffer tank, a bit more vertical than yours, but still chock full of places for snails to hide (and the puffer to find them).

PXL_20210203_231716795.jpg.d2004f8abca0598a26b42507de34ede8.jpg

You can also see how small that lil puffer is, even in this small tank. So I say get any pieces of rock or driftwood that you think look interesting and stuff it in! But definitely infest it with snails like trumpet snails and ramshorns for a good few weeks before letting the puffer loose.

I have that Marineland Portrait aquarium sitting empty right now. Glad to know I can get a pea puffer in there(and make him happy)! I removed the divider for the internal filter system so I got a couple more inches of space to fill it up with random cra... ehem... "nooks and crannies". Thanks for the idea!

• Haha 2