Confusing fish/animal names

CT_

Ok so for the first week or two I was reading this forum I was confused by a few animal names.

Mystery snails:  I thought this meant snails who's origin (and or species) was unknown to the fish keeper.  Like they just appeared in the tank one day and no one knows how; it's a mystery.

convict chiclid: I thought this was colorful language for a chiclid that was aggressive and had to go into another tank for the safety of the rest of the community.

Can we just get all the confusing names out of the way and list them here 🙂

Edited by CT_

Everyone gets confused, even Linnaeus, the great namer of plants and animals was befuddled sometimes. I grow alot of common milkweed in my fields because my honey bees like it and butterflies like it.

Linnaeus named it Asclepias syriaca or in other words 'the milkweed from Syria'.

The original type specimen was from Canada (not Syria) but had been mislabeled. So I now have 'Syrian Milkweed' that is actually native to my front yard.

• Haha 4

Glowlight tetras are not GloFish®; they are Hemigrammus erythrozonus from Guyana.

Marimo moss balls are not moss, but Aegagropila linnaei, a species of filamentous green algae.

Blue-green algae is not algae, but Cyanobacteria, also know as Cyanophyta.

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 3

Dwarf emerald "rasboras" are not rasboras at all, but danios. They were reclassified scientifically as danio erythromicron after further study. But, they are still mant times sold as dwarf emerald rasboras.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Dwarf emerald "rasboras" are not rasboras at all, but danios. They were reclassified scientifically as danio erythromicron after further study. But, they are still mant times sold as dwarf emerald rasboras.

The make matters worse, it is not even clear that there is a difference between Danios and Rasboras.

image.png.25880ccc5be53006cb134d2b9c90fe

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1