Fry grow out tank

CT_

So it looks like I may have my first fry (medaka) ever soon.  I need a grow out tank for them, but what should I use?  I'm thinking a 16 quart tub from target since its 3$.  Is that sufficient?  Should I add a sponge filter?  Anything else?

Also should I remove eggs from my mop or just throw the whole mop in there for them to hatch out?

Go ahead and use the tub, lots of people use tubs like those to hatch or raise fish in. Throw the whole mop in, most likely it also have microscopic foods on it the fry can feed off of. If you have an extra sponge filter, throw it in, if not the air stone will be fine. Just make sure as the fry grow and you are feeding, you will have to keep up on water changes.

• Like 2

If you can afford more than one.  And can manage more water changes.  I like to start fry out in smaller containers.  As they grow move to larger container.  Also this will help with sorting (culling) by size as the fry grow.  
Good Luck 

On 3/5/2021 at 11:31 PM, CT_ said:

these guys say not to but I don't understand the reasoning:

https://www.medakanoouchi.com/howto/grow.html.en

I've never spawned any rice fish species, so I am not sure about them. But, I have spawned at least 50 other species of fish, and I can tell you, that keeping the water in fry grow out tanks clean will lead to a lot better fry growth and health. Now, some fish are more sensitive to water parameters than others, so maybe the medaka aren't as sensitive. 

7 hours ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

I've never spawned any rice fish species, so I am not sure about them. But, I have spawned at least 50 other species of fish, and I can tell you, that keeping the water in fry grow out tanks clean will lead to a lot better fry growth and health. Now, some fish are more sensitive to water parameters than others, so maybe the medaka aren't as sensitive. 

Rice fish are supposed to be easy so I don't see how something counterintuitive would be necessary so maybe it's a mistranslation of negatives from japanese.  That page is full of odd word choices

I'll just do the water changes.  Since what you say makes more sense.

They're saying to do top off only no water changes. They're raising them outdoors so they will get more evaporation than you might indoors and with a lid on your container. They're probably topping off pretty regularly and that keeps the water fresh

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...