Stocking 29 gallon tank

mgudyka

Hi all,

I haven't had an aquarium in my life since I was a child. Something recently jump started my interest in fish keeping. Conveniently at the same time, a semi local pet store chain was having a $1 per gallon sale, so I picked up a 29 gallon tank. While my tank cycles, I am trying to decide on what to stock my tank with.

I will definitely be sticking to freshwater. My original plan was to get a betta along with some schooling fish, but as I learn more about the types of tropical fish there are, the harder it is for me to commit. I am not committed to bettas.

I would love having fish in a variety of bright colors. I am not sure if brightly colored fish make suitable tank mates for bettas, though. 

Right now I have two lil plants but I have ordered many more (the vendor opted to halt shipping until the massive shipping delays with fedex were over) with the goal of having a heavily planted tank.

I am having the hardest time narrowing it down. I would love suggestions. I am attaching a picture of my tank right now.

Thank you everyone 😊

20210228_171421.jpg

Most Bettas will do fine with peacful, non fin nipping fish. It is very common for people to pu tetras with bettas because they can make a nice school. If your looking for something colorful here are a few options...

-Betta, Cardinal/ Neon Tetras, Orange Lazer Corydoras

-Gourami x3 (make sure its one male and two females), Silver Tip Tetras

-Killifish, Rummynose Tetra, Julii Corydora

-German Blue Rams (keep them warm, 82F) Cardinal Tetras

The Killifish are SUPER colorful just make sure you have no holes in your lids, they are jumpers. 

Bettas will do fine with any peacful non fin nipping fish. Just make sure your betta can tolerate tank mates, not all bettas will.

Gouramis are fairly aggressive and so I would make sure that when stocking the tank you make sure the Gouramis are the main center peice fish.

• Thanks 1

If you've never done them I would do 4 or 5 guppies and some neocaridina shrimp Cherry, Blue velvet etc. If you get 2 or 3 males and 4 or 5 females and wait month or two and your tank will be full of baby fish and shrimp.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Most Bettas will do fine with peacful, non fin nipping fish. It is very common for people to pu tetras with bettas because they can make a nice school. If your looking for something colorful here are a few options...

-Betta, Cardinal/ Neon Tetras, Orange Lazer Corydoras

-Gourami x3 (make sure its one male and two females), Silver Tip Tetras

-Killifish, Rummynose Tetra, Julii Corydora

-German Blue Rams (keep them warm, 82F) Cardinal Tetras

The Killifish are SUPER colorful just make sure you have no holes in your lids, they are jumpers. 

Bettas will do fine with any peacful non fin nipping fish. Just make sure your betta can tolerate tank mates, not all bettas will.

Gouramis are fairly aggressive and so I would make sure that when stocking the tank you make sure the Gouramis are the main center peice fish.

Wow! Thank you for the thoughtful response. I definitely don't know what I am going to do haha but these are great suggestions. I appreciate it  

I'll share with you what I have in my 29!

5 honey gouramis, 8 panda cories, 11 x-ray tetras, 1 longfin bristlenose pleco, cherry shrimp, snails

It's a fantastic tank! Activity on all levels, everyone gets along, just a good time. 

6 minutes ago, redmare said:

I'll share with you what I have in my 29!

5 honey gouramis, 8 panda cories, 11 x-ray tetras, 1 longfin bristlenose pleco, cherry shrimp, snails

It's a fantastic tank! Activity on all levels, everyone gets along, just a good time. 

Any pics? I'd love to see !

I understand your conundrum! I'm currently planning the stocking for one of my 29g tanks, which recently became unoccupied. I broke it down and totally re-scaped it a couple of weeks ago. I've settled on a few things, but haven't decided on total stocking yet. So far, for sure - cherry shrimp, zebra nerite snails, and Endler's livebearers (males only). I haven't decided what else I want to put in there. I should receive cherry shrimp next week, which will be split between the 29g and my 1.5g jarrarium. Nerites are coming then, too, and will go in the 29g. I haven't ordered the Endler's yet, because the ones I want aren't in stock at present. Waiting for them to return then I'll order them.

Can't make up my mind what else I want to put in my 29g, so I'm watching this thread for ideas! 🙂

Totally get the excitement of seeing it all come together, and I hope you find exactly what you want to stock your tank.

Oh, and I'm planning on a cories, too! Can't have a community tank without cories! It'd be a travesty. LOL I'm thinking pygmy cories but haven't decided for sure between them and Habrosus cories. Will probably end up deciding when I go to order them and see which is in stock. They're both cute, and small enough I can have a nice school of them.