Small monogamous freshwater fish?

andieb

Hi guys, 

So eventually I'm planning on adding fish to my 20 gal long, and I was wondering if you guys had any ideas. 

I like the idea of my fish having company of the same species but I also don't want to get a lot of fish cause I like being able to tell the individuals apart. I was thinking about keeping a male and a female together. Of course keeping a male and female together for "company" only works if the two fish actually like having each other's company...

Initially I was thinking of a male and female honey gourami (Trichogaster chuna). I like how gouramis explore things and interact with each other. 

Any other ideas? Maybe a male and female from a species that's actually monogamous? 

Here's some things I was hoping for:

1) Small (~ 1 or 2 inch) cause I want the tank to be a big-ish place for them to explore. 

2) Compatible with apple snails and ghost shrimp

3) Cool behaviours are a plus

Can't wait to hear your ideas! Thank you!!! 

I think something like a pair of bolivian rams or german blue rams would be cool. Some other things that would could do are some killifish. Something that I think would also work are sparkling gouramis

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m certainly a fan of the honey gourami idea! 😁 Just know that if the male has a nest of eggs to protect, he’ll start chasing the female away relentlessly. She’ll need some hiding spots and places to get out of his line of sight. Tall plants or pieces of driftwood work well. When there are no eggs to protect, my pair flirt all the time and generally hang out together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1