Plant identification please

Hello,

I bought this plant awhile back and can’t remember what it is. Maybe it’s a red flame sword. Also what is the massive arm growing off of it? Is it a rhizome or a flower growing and what do I do with it? *since this photo it has now grown out of the top of the tank.

2D3F1FA6-5699-4F8F-ACF7-C58F16535ECB.jpeg

Edited by Marnol D

I'm not at all sure, but I have an ozelot sword, and yours looks very similar.  Mine fills about 1/3 of a 20 gallon long.  It sent up a runner like that several months ago, with 3 nodes on it.  First there were multiple blooms at each node, about 3/4" across.  When the blooming started to taper off each node sprouted leaves, and then roots.  About the time the roots showed up a new sprout appeared, with 5 nodes.  It's just about finished blooming, and is starting to get leaves, and now there's a 3rd stem with at least 7 nodes.

I'm about to have a plethora of baby ozelot sword plants.  Maybe I should see if @Corycould use some to post for sale?

5 minutes ago, JettsPapa said:

I'm not at all sure, but I have an ozelot sword, and yours looks very similar.  Mine fills about 1/3 of a 20 gallon long.  It sent up a runner like that several months ago, with 3 nodes on it.  First there were multiple blooms at each node, about 3/4" across.  When the blooming started to taper off each node sprouted leaves, and then roots.  About the time the roots showed up a new sprout appeared, with 5 nodes.  It's just about finished blooming, and is starting to get leaves, and now there's a 3rd stem with at least 7 nodes.

I'm about to have a plethora of baby ozelot sword plants.  Maybe I should see if @Corycould use some to post for sale?

I need to figure out your secret! I have 2 ozelot swords, and both of them are short, and rather petite, despite root tabs. One is being shaded by an overgrown aquarium lily, and one was likely being starved by a madagascar lace plant. Hoping it perks up now that I moved its neighbor.

Edited by Brandy
  • Like 1

its currently in a 55 gallon... what do i do with it? its runner growing out of the top of the tank. Do i cut it off and ram it into the substrate to replant or do i need to let it mature more? and i pulled back my old order from the coop its a red flame sword is all it can be from what ive ordered.

2 hours ago, Marnol D said:

its currently in a 55 gallon... what do i do with it? its runner growing out of the top of the tank. Do i cut it off and ram it into the substrate to replant or do i need to let it mature more? and i pulled back my old order from the coop its a red flame sword is all it can be from what ive ordered.

Leave the runner as-is for now.  If it's like my ozelot sword each node will have several flowers.  When they're about finished blooming leaves will appear at each node, and then roots.  After the roots are fairly well established you can cut the stem on each side of each node.  Plant each one, and discard the portion of the stem that was between nodes.

My ozelot sword has produced 3 sprouts so far.  I got 3 plants from the first one, then cut it off.  The second node has 5, and the third is still growing, but it looks like it's going to have at least 6.

• Like 1