White Bumps on Betta

rben675

I believe my betta always had some sort of white lump/bump but the look of it has changed. It's almost as if it got slightly bigger and move forward towards his head. Over time, another white bump appeared on each side of his body. Does anybody know what it is and what I should do? It doesn't look cottony like examples I've seen of fungal growth.

I've thought of using aquarium salt and see if it helps but not sure if its needed and worried if it'll hurt my plants or snail. He's also shows no sign of illness or lethargy and is eating really well. Gets a mix of pellets, bug bites, freeze dried daphnia/mysis and bloodworms.

He's in a 10 gallon with a sponge filter and a heater set to about 78F with only a nerite snail, some RRF, water lettuce, aponogeton, banana plant, java moss, java fern and anubias. I did have some silk plants in there but I have since removed as I got more live plants and feared maybe he got hurt rubbing up against the plastic. The only other thing that has been happening is I had a lot of RRF melt so been sucking those out from time to time along with my weekly 20-30% water changes.

Water Parameters:

• pH 6.5
  • Nitrates 0
  • Nitrite 0
  • Ammonia - 0

IMG_7088.jpeg

IMG-7128.jpg

I feel like he may have always had the one on top but it's within the last 2-3 weeks it feels like it gets bigger. I feel like it shrinks when I do a water change (which I just completed my weekly, so I can watch and see if this is right) but I can't remember when the other two bumps on his sides appeared. They're much newer. I remember one at first just looked like an off colored scale then the bump formed.

Thanks. I didn't know about this or viral infections with fish. A lot of other places I have posted just had no answers or said "well bettas usually get this".

Luckily I don't have any other fish to possibly infect, just an invert tank, and right now the little guy is eating well and otherwise happy.

I had a betta with something like that, I had a wet vet come out and she did an ultrasound and saw that it was attached to the muscle underneath and so removal was not an option. She was worried it was fish TB or something that could pass on to human, but she stuck a needle in it and no puss came out which meant it was not transmittable to humans. She said the fish would die of old age before the tumor made a problem. So it just kept growing and then he died of old age. (he was quite old) She said it is something some bettas are born with, something about the pigment in their scales mutates and makes a tumor. As long as it does not cover the mouth, gills, eyes, or something like that I think it is okay. Just try to give your fish the best life possible. 🙂

• Like 3

I have a betta with tumors on his head, which slowly developed over the years. They don't respond to meds, so I just assume that's what they are. They do look different than your guy's, but the symptoms are the same. He's still very active, very hungry, and seems to be doing just fine despite the fact that he won't be winning any beauty pageants. Sometime I do notice a little irritated spot on them, which I assume is from him rubbing them on the driftwood/rocks as he explores (he likes to squish himself into the tiniest of spaces). I just monitor them and keep the water params pristine. 

I'd try meds if you haven't, but if they stick around, all you can do is monitor and provide a good life. 

PXL_20210228_152553356.PORTRAIT.jpg.0ba19f4493894dafcb55bb242bc9344a.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colu said:

With lymphocystis it important to keep good water parameters and not stress the fish they can get secondary bacterial infection so I would treat with maracyn it can get better over time  

I'll give maracyn a shot. I'm still a little nervous about using aquarium salt and would have to set up another tank to protect my plants.

• Like 1