Jane Orr

I know hands must be washed before putting them in a tank and I am, of course, careful but is there a preferred hand soap?  Types to stay away from?  Everything says to not use soap on anything in a tank but you must wash your hands.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

• Like 1

I end up using Dr Bronner's unscented soap or plain Dawn dish soap whenever I'm gonna get my hands wet. I've got nothing to back this up, but I feel like if there's scent on my hand some of it is gonna end up in the water. For me, Dr Bronner's/Dawn rinses cleanly and doesn't leave any residue I can feel. Having to use so much hand sanitizer these days has my super paranoid about keeping my hands clean when I'm working in my tanks too. I scrub like crazy after I go out, hand sanitizer just feels like it's impossible to get off!

• Like 2

I'll 3rd or 4th the Dawn soap. And rinsing well.

Full confession. A lot of times I just get into it. I haven't correlated  any ill effects. But I work an office job most of the time and don't come into contact with many harmful substances. If I do, I wash my hands immediately. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cory said:

Dawn soap, I used them to clean the tanks we are installing. Dean has been a fan of it for many years.

Yes dawn soap is good. Also another good soap is Reef suds which has been tested ok for aquariums.

Edited by Taco Playz
  • Like 1

I use any regular hand soap I have in the kitchen or bathroom, but I make sure to rinse well and use a nail brush if I've been dealing with makeup, paint, compost, or anything else I don't want in my tank.

Big struggle is how to keep my hands, nails and cuticles looking and feeling halfway decent with all my tank fussing. No one wants raw cuticles, paper cuts or broken nails in tank water. So when the tank lights go off at night and I know I'm done, I like to treat my hands to some cuticle oil like: https://www.amazon.com/Cuccio-Revitalize-Cuticle-Honey-Ounce/dp/B00F644LTQ

And I'm sure to keep my nails with at least a coat of clear polish to help protect them from the water.

I rinse my hands with hot water going in, and use soap when im done. Im more worried about zoonotic bacterias coming out than in.

FYI dawn is great for dogs fur and skin. My lab has sensitive skin to most of those smell good dog shampoos. Since switching to dawn she doesnt itch anymore, and her fur has a healthy shine. I then rub her down with gain dryer sheets if i want some fragrance. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Schwack said:

I end up using Dr Bronner's unscented soap or plain Dawn dish soap whenever I'm gonna get my hands wet. I've got nothing to back this up, but I feel like if there's scent on my hand some of it is gonna end up in the water. For me, Dr Bronner's/Dawn rinses cleanly and doesn't leave any residue I can feel. Having to use so much hand sanitizer these days has my super paranoid about keeping my hands clean when I'm working in my tanks too. I scrub like crazy after I go out, hand sanitizer just feels like it's impossible to get off!

Dawn is also animal safe they use it in oil spills and a lot of people will use it on there dogs if they get fleas