I want to collect driftwood.

FriendlyLoach

Hey everyone,

I have used manzanita wood in my tanks that I collected, but I boiled it. Now I don't really want to have to boil it more, for my new tank. I was just wondering how important the boiling process is, in the sense of killing parasites and bad things. I am not worried about it floating, I will tie it to rocks. @CoryI remember in one of your livestreams you talked about a women who had lots of problems from collecting wood, would you reminding me that story? 

Thanks!

Not a real answer either, but I have collected Pacific driftwood locally. In that case it has also "worked out" its problems in the sea. I did not worry about parasites or pathogens due to the salt vs fresh axis, Meaning what thrives in one environment generally dies in the other. I got a few little dead broken barnacles on one piece that were kinda a fun bonus even.

Manzanita that is dead/cured, not green, would be necessary. If I were concerned I would probably bake it in an oven--this is kiln drying, right? Manzanita isn't given to rot, but I would avoid soft or rotten bits.

• Like 3

If you are talking about taking it from one tank and putting it in another (just reread the OP in a different way...) I don't think boiling would be necessary, unless there is something specific (like algae or snails?) that you want to keep out of the new tank. In fact I think you would basically instant cycle your tank, as @Fish Folk indicates.

Edited by Brandy

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

If you are talking about taking it from one tank and putting it in another (just reread the OP in a different way...) I don't think boiling would be necessary, unless there is something specific (like algae or snails?) that you want to keep out of the new tank. In fact I think you would basically instant cycle your tank, as @Fish Folk indicates.

Thanks for the advice, sorry if I was not clear, I am getting them out of nature. 

I've never used manzanita wood, but I've picked up dry fallen hardwood limbs when I was out checking cows, brought it home, rinsed it with a hose, and dropped it in the tank.  Depending on the wood species it takes anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to sink.  I haven't had any issues yet.

• Thanks 1