Need help catching shrimp out planted tank.

Julian D

I use a tiny net with a telescoping handle that I got off amazon. I have caught about 80 shrimp with it in the last 2 days. It helps if you feed often and they come out and aren't scared. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VC36H7Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you gotta get 'em all (to move the tank or something) I would use a siphon. I do this with fry sometimes.

• Like 2

I'm also breeding shrimp to sell, but I leave an open area at the front of the tank, and I feed them there.   Put out some food and wait about 15 minutes and you can catch quite a few.

A net like @Brandymentioned is a big help.  The link she put up is for a square one, and I have one of those, but I also have a round one (also purchased from Amazon) and like it better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JettsPapa said:

I'm also breeding shrimp to sell, but I leave an open area at the front of the tank, and I feed them there.   Put out some food and wait about 15 minutes and you can catch quite a few.

A net like @Brandymentioned is a big help.  The link she put up is for a square one, and I have one of those, but I also have a round one (also purchased from Amazon) and like it better.

Oddly, it arrived round... and I do like it. It is fairly flexible, and could probably be bent to suit.

1 hour ago, Hobbit said:

I wonder if you can put a yogurt container in their tank and put food at the back of the container? Then once they all go to munch, you could reach in with your hand or a net and block the entrance, then pull them all out.

I have successfully used a plastic bottle shrimp trap, built much like a minnow trap, and that is great, but honestly, I like the net better. It is neater and more precise, and they get smart after you catch the whole colony a time or two. If you do try the yogurt container, consider standing it up vertically and then lifting quickly. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I use homemade shrimp lollipops or you can buy glass garden shrimp lollipop the flock to them at the front of the tank and are reluctant to leave   Going very slowly I use a 3D net and gently scoop several at a time off the lollipop. It works like a charm.