Downside of HOB filters

BeetleLann

As I am new to this hobby, I realize there is a lot I have yet to learn. At present, I have a 10G aquarium with a HOB filter. Last night I found one of my cherry shrimp had gotten into the canister (if that is the correct term), and died. I assume fish death is just part of the hobby, but I wish to learn how to minimize this reality, if possible. The intake is covered by a foam sleeve of sorts, so I am not sure how the shrimp got into the filter.

How I can prevent this from happening again? I tried asking this question to a FB group I am part of, but they would not let me post because I attached a photo of the dead shrimp. Furthermore, should I move to a sponge filter? A clerk at my local store said it wasn't necessary because it would make my tank look cluttered, but  my gut says I should not have listened to him.

• Administrators

My advice is always use what ya have first. Being that you're new, it's good to experience with things. Everyone will have preferences. While I love mexican food, you may like Italian. What can help prevent fish and shrimp getting sucked in is called a in take or pre filter sponge. We sell them and you size them to the filter size, my best guess is a medium would serve you well as it fits the most filter. It just goes around where the water gets sucked in. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/sponge-filters/products/medium-pre-filter-sponge

5 minutes ago, Cory said:

My advice is always use what ya have first. Being that you're new, it's good to experience with things. Everyone will have preferences. While I love mexican food, you may like Italian. What can help prevent fish and shrimp getting sucked in is called a in take or pre filter sponge. We sell them and you size them to the filter size, my best guess is a medium would serve you well as it fits the most filter. It just goes around where the water gets sucked in. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/sponge-filters/products/medium-pre-filter-sponge

Thanks, Cory! I have something similar already but perhaps it is too small. Do you guys ship to Canada? Would love to support the store.

32 minutes ago, BeetleLann said:

Thanks, Cory! I have something similar already but perhaps it is too small. Do you guys ship to Canada? Would love to support the store.

If I remember correctly, I think Cory once said in an off-hand live stream comment, that a lot of prefilter sponges go over the end of the filter intake, but have a continuous hole all the way thru, which might allow the shrimp in at the bottom. A quick fix, if that is the case, would be a stocking toe or similar fine mesh rubber banded over the whole intake end, over which you could then put the sponge that you have. 

• Thanks 1

I've had shrimp get into the HOB, but not thru the intake as I run sponges. But sounds like so did you. Shrimp are little escapist, if you have something they can climb and don't have the lid sealed, some will get out. I've found them on the lid, floor, HOB, etc. 

Now I keep them in tanks that either have a canister or just sponges. And cut the plastic back strips to only allow tubing thru.

1 hour ago, Mr. Ed's Aquatics said:

I've had shrimp get into the HOB, but not thru the intake as I run sponges. But sounds like so did you. Shrimp are little escapist, if you have something they can climb and don't have the lid sealed, some will get out. I've found them on the lid, floor, HOB, etc. 

Now I keep them in tanks that either have a canister or just sponges. And cut the plastic back strips to only allow tubing thru.

Your response is very helpful and reassuring. I think it may have climbed up a pothos that I have growing out of the tank. Lesson learned; my next project is getting the pothos potted. Thank you. 😀

2 hours ago, BeetleLann said:

Your response is very helpful and reassuring. I think it may have climbed up a pothos that I have growing out of the tank. Lesson learned; my next project is getting the pothos potted. Thank you. 😀

@BeetleLann, I have several HOB filters and, from time to time, have various snails get into the housings.  Not really a problem personally for me, since they usually don't go deep into the filters, but like to 'ride the waves' a bit.  They are not getting through the pre-filters, but rather they just climb and climb.    I think @Brandy brought up a good point about the continuous holes in some pre-filter sponges, being an issue from other manufactures.  The ones purchased from the Co-Op seem to be just the right porosity and only have one hole (for the filter intake).

The fine pre-filters, also from other various sources, do seem to clog very quickly and pinch themselves off, reducing water flow.

Another good point about pre-filters, in general, is they are portable and can be transferred from one tank to another, I.E. cycling a new tank with a seasoned pre-filter sponge, from a previously cycled aquarium.  Same can be accomplished with a seasoned Co-Op sponge filter, etc.

Now, if only @Cory can figure out a way to ship to Canada.  

All the best, @BeetleLann, with the aquarium.  We were all new at some point and the learning truly never stops.  That's the fun part.  

• Thanks 1