Bummed out about a die off, how to you get motivated again?

Tedrock

Had a thriving cherry shrimp colony and for a couple of reasons I had a large die off. This has happen twice and each time I have learned from my mistake.  It just takes so much time and I am super discouraged.  I need advice on how to get back on the Shrimp boat.  Many thanks, Tedrock

I JUST had the same thing happen. I have a few survivors so I am hoping to get the colony to bounce back. It is SUPER depressing, to be sure, but you can also think of it as another new project. You've already proven you can do it, and it sounds like you know what happened to avoid it in the future. Maybe get a different color of neos and start up again?

I think its OK to take a break from them too. Maybe a few months, maybe less. It can help to kind of "reset" your mindset.

So turns out I kinda gave you a wishy washy answer (either take a break or continue.) 😅 I think you'll catch the bug again soon.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Ed's Aquatics said:

I've been sneaking backups into my guppy tanks in case of a problem. Maybe try splitting the colony between tanks. You will almost never risk losing everything that way unless you use the same equipment between tanks without disinfecting them between uses.

Shrimp are great additions if you have other tanks. I think I might be a shrimp fairy.... (sprinkles little neocaridina to all the tanks)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’ve yet to have have a crash that takes on more than 35% of my shrimp (knock on wood) but just in cause I do ever have a crash I also try sprinkling a couple of my PRLCR shrimp around my other tanks for back up, I also keep the higher grade ones on those hang on Breeder boxes for selectively breeding as well as for back ups, lastly I also give some to my younger brother to throw in his tanks. I would definitely recommend spreading them out in other tanks when you establish your colony back up as well as giving some to friends or family so they can possibly get there own colony going and is you ever crash they’ll be there with some shrimp. But also to prevent crashes I’d recommend testing your water every now and then and be on the look out for temp swings especially now during the summer.

Good luck with your Neos.

F28B46D7-EEA4-442F-8C83-7A72E96DD95F.jpeg

• Like 1