Dlove

I am unintentionally breeding cloud minnows in my snail tank.   I used them to cycle my main tank.  So this has lead me to some thoughts and questions. 

• What do you do with the babies when they grow?  
  • How do you get into becoming a professional fish breeder?

THANKS

First question is just making sure you feed the fry with fry food.  If you don't have any on hand crush up flakes as much as possible.  There is likely some microscopic food they can eat in the tank. Frozen brine shrimp is good and easy to get. 

For your second question I'll say go watch the breeding for profit series on the aquarium co-op channel on YouTube.  Great info in there if interested in breeding more.  Good luck!

• Like 2

White Cloud minnows? Wish ours would spawn for us!

Many local fish stores will work out a deal with you for fish you breed. But it  may take time to develop a good relationship. At the least, if you’re out of room and do not want to buy more tanks, most LFS will take them if you offer. They’ll need to be large enough to sell. 

To really get into breeding, you can research a lot, try out a few species. You’ll want a handful of aquariums. Best thing is to join a fish club and work on earning points in their Breeder’s Award Program (BAP). You’ll learn a lot that way.

Watch tons of videos featuring Master Breeder Dean, Greg Sage from Select Aquatics, and watch Cory’s “Breeding Fish For Profit” series. 

I have 4 amazon puffer fish in my 75 gallon tank (why I am breeding snails).  One of the puffers wont eat blood worms so I have been hatching brine shrimp until I can get the snail population going.  I feed both tanks brine shrimp so I think the minnows are responding to that.   They were also breeding in my 75 gallon.  

@Fish Folk If you are in Washington State and the babies make it want some? 

For graduate school I decided to do a masters in environmental science in Washington State instead of Aquaculture in Arkansas.  Now I am a food inspector.  I sometimes wonder if I should get back to my fishy roots. 

• Like 1

If I was still in WA I would gladly take em! But I'm not, unfortunately. If you are around WSU, or anywhere really, you could try to re-home them on Craigslist. White clouds are popular. Another option was if you had a patio or outdoor area you could try them in an outdoor pond/container. 

• Like 1