I've heard this plant mentioned hundreds of times online and in videos, but I just googled it for the first time and I was floored with images of lush crypt parka carpets... and it's said to be a low light plants!?

I know that I cannot trust everything that I see online, but I can trust you all. So can you show off your crypt parva? If you can, could you tell me how much you started with and how long it's been growing? In my 25 gallon I had a nice little carpet of dwarf chain swords, but they are not growing well in the 75 g.... I might order some little crypts!

• 1 month later...

I've got some in my 75 gallon tank, I would post pictures of it but I planted it around the roots so that it would look like a transition between the foreground plants and the Anubias nana petite on the roots but my Cryptocoryne wendtii Green Gecko, which I chose to use instead of just a Staurogyne repens carpet, sort of blocks the view now. In now over 8 months it has grown maybe a 1/16" to 1/8", so if you want a carpet of it you'll need to plant a carpet of it because you can't count on it filling in any gaps anytime soon. You'd be better off with microsword if you like the looks of Cryptocoryne parva.

Edited by Jungle Fan

Beautiful tank!

I added the one cup, but it is definitely lost in the substrate. Haha. It’s so small. I love the look of some of the carpets I’ve seen, but it would cost a fortune to have that in less than a year or two. I do have dwarf chain swords currently. I haven’t really wanted a carpet, but I loved the look of Parva. I may just buy some over time. I’m going to watch this first cup and see how it does first. 

Thanks for the pics!

• Like 1

Nice looking tank.  Thanks for sharing.  I order 3 about a month ago, just ordered another 4.  All 7 will be in my 46 gallon bow front tank.  I figure that should be a good start, I have time (at least I hope I have time). 
I once waited 2 years 11 months and 9 days for my group of Cyrtocara moorii to spawn and 2 years 2 weeks and 5 days for my group of Cyphotilapia frontosa to spawn.  I can wait a year on a plant.....  lol.

thanks

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That’s what I plan on doing. My tank is currently in a lowlight situation because I was running my light too intense for too long and started to develop Green Spot and Black Beard algae’s. 

After a couple of months with the light dialed down to 35% and only 6 hours the Green Spot is gone, and the Black Bears is sparse. So I don’t want to invest in a bunch of people plants while I am still dialing it in, but I know healthy plants can help me find balance. 7 plants x $8... That’s serious. Haha. 

Did you plant the first three by cup? Or did you break it up some? I had six or seven plants in my cup (I think 😬).

• 3 weeks later...

I only just recently got some and planted it in my 5g betta tank. It's doing the melting thing Crypts like to do so much, so we'll see how it does long term. I'm a patient aquarist, so I don't mind that it takes time for plants to establish and grow. I like watching the changes as they occur. Hubby teased me once about "watching grass grow". I proudly said "yep!" LOL

• Like 1

Me too Dawn!

That’s why CO2 doesn’t interest me. I just want to find balance in my tank. Admittedly, the cup from a few weeks ago that I spread out doesn’t look like much. The cup that I planted together looks much better. I’m hoping it does well. 

I have the perfect water for crypts. I’ve never experienced crypt melt. Even when I’ve bought them from Aquarium Co-Op. But I do understand many aquarists experience it. My water is off the charts (per AC-CO’s new test strips).