German Blue Rams and hard water.

Fenrir

I kept a pair in hard water at around 80 degrees.  They laid eggs 2 or 3 times but never hatched.  I have always assumed that they wouldn't be able to hatch in my water or at that temp but I'm far from an expert.  The fish themselves did well though.  

I have kept German blues, and electric blue rams in my hard tap water with no issues. Your best bet would be to get them from a breeder or store in your area so that they are  acclimated to the local waters. I think the issue most people have with rams is not keeping them warm enough, When I have had them, I keep them between 82-86 degrees. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

I have kept German blues, and electric blue rams in my hard tap water with no issues. Your best bet would be to get them from a breeder or store in your area so that they are  acclimated to the local waters. I think the issue most people have with rams is not keeping them warm enough, When I have had them, I keep them between 82-86 degrees. 

Do you think 79 would be ok? I just don't want to overheat my Angels and Kribs. I might remove kribs since they reside in the same territory just have them for a spawning project is all. I can bump up to 80 just don't want to go crazy.

Edited by Fenrir

17 hours ago, Fenrir said:

Do you think 79 would be ok? I just don't want to overheat my Angels and Kribs. I might remove kribs since they reside in the same territory just have them for a spawning project is all. I can bump up to 80 just don't want to go crazy.

I would say no, minimum 82. Angels will do fine in 82 water. I wouldn't keep rams and kribs in the same tank anyways. They both use the same area of the tank (bottom) and can be quite territorial when spawning. So I would choose one or the other or set up another tank.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

I would say no, minimum 82. Angels will do fine in 82 water. I wouldn't keep rams and kribs in the same tank anyways. They both use the same area of the tank (bottom) and can be quite territorial when spawning. So I would choose one or the other or set up another tank.

That sounds great. I'll be getting 6 from a local breeder in hopes that can get some pairs to then breed myself.

• Like 1

Agreed with all on this thread -- Rams and Kribs (both fun) are not ideal tank mates. We've raised lots of both . . . never together. 

Exactly how "hard" is your water? Can you get a KH test kit and figure out how many drops it takes to turn from blue to yellow? Having a high pH is not necessarily the same as having hard water. 

On 1/23/2021 at 3:16 PM, Fenrir said:

what are some triggers for breeding rams?

Start with a properly cycled tank. A good water change can trigger them. They do like it warm -- 80-88 degrees Farenheit. Feed them live food -- baby brine shrimp, daphnia. Keep the male and female in separate tanks for a little while to prime them to spawn. Put the male in first to the breeding tank to "own the space." Once he's settled, then just as soon as you add the female and feed live food together, they'll probably spawn within 48 hrs. You'll know they're ready, because they peck at their breeding area like crazy.

Now, raising the fry is an additional challenge. Here's a series on Spawning Rams we did the other year. There's better ways to do this, but if you're looking for a close-up, step-by-step method, this can provide you with some ideas. Rams are AWESOME!

Edited by Fish Folk