My Plants Came!!! They are currently in my quarintine tank because of the salt in hugos tank.

Heres what I got:

Hygrophillia

image.png.351e9e6aa67f59929dfc783b3bf6cec0.png

Red Melon Sword (or red flame, idk)

image.png.be69cb0ad598ade9377b31803edf656e.png

Anubius Bareteri var Nanna

image.png.ff761395456279fc67e2d926678142cf.png

Salvania

image.png.b25021758869ddde33177ad59c6aa621.png

I also got some "dry fertilizer". It was a very interesting product as I have only seen liquad fertilizers so I decided to give the dry stuff a try! All you need to do is mix in water, sounds easy.

Hugos not doing any better, but also not any worse so thats good 🙂 

Edited by JamesB
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OceanTruth said:

The plants where you ordered from came in looking great. Must be a good company. I’m waiting on a plant order as well. Hopefully, in a couple of days.

Good luck using the dry ferts. Never tried it myself.

The Plants defentley didn't pass the co-op standard, but it was defentley close to it. 

Hope your plants arive healthy!

• Thanks 1

@JamesB I had a few other ideas last night for Hugo. I’m relieved he wasn’t any worse yesterday. I’m not sure this would help the fin rot, but it seems like StressCoat might help him be less, well, stressed. And Foo the Flowerhorn on YouTube treated his betta’s fin rot with highly concentrated H2O2. He actually took the fish out of the water, put him on a glass plate, and swabbed the H2O2 over the edges of his fins with a q-tip. (the video only shows a tumor treatment but he says he did the same thing for the fins.) I tried it once for my betta but chickened out when his fins clumped up and I couldn’t figure out how to spread them out without hurting him. Maybe stress coat would have helped make his fins slippery!

I’m not necessarily saying you should do any of that, I just wanted to throw out some options.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

@JamesB I had a few other ideas last night for Hugo. I’m relieved he wasn’t any worse yesterday. I’m not sure this would help the fin rot, but it seems like StressCoat might help him be less, well, stressed. And Foo the Flowerhorn on YouTube treated his betta’s fin rot with highly concentrated H2O2. He actually took the fish out of the water, put him on a glass plate, and swabbed the H2O2 over the edges of his fins with a q-tip. (the video only shows a tumor treatment but he says he did the same thing for the fins.) I tried it once for my betta but chickened out when his fins clumped up and I couldn’t figure out how to spread them out without hurting him. Maybe stress coat would have helped make his fins slippery!

I’m not necessarily saying you should do any of that, I just wanted to throw out some options.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. If I have to I will try the swab, but the stress coat is defentley somethibg to look into.

Hugos doing ALOT better!!! He has started swimming again, eating again, and has new growth on his fins!

Here is a picture of what he was like yesterday and then what he was like today. (Top one is yesterday, bottom one is today)

qwiAklreLRBo8u7R-Ee-2JPqUyD66yayCu-nMk31kk19ZxSK7458sTntYTqUzhCFP7v2IRnUHH-M5X-dHSvaN4B6esgxsWsQeefpG6PZCU-t5qi-pB4Xb0vpay4DJq08-reiRNG2VlXAbB5tmf-aPhKTUf_UIfFH31lUV3jy7uZ9fHmLHL1Wi2RFLk5nPW_9sVJNDP0uD8DqstpUISNP_N2hi7K1rfMbUAzJjMTt2rtq_2pex8w8jm3eL1f5hgQQmVPf6_h22m3FYdFX2Bs2x1L9k0gtEb9fZoIfNxI2M-WhVocwjHNzp5N132VoI43ISaIpALc8SrDVD7K0ONX_6sof1lySdgAxNvA-3xR7Z8X7ZjEq5rb0JVhskbUeYUfh3dsP41Ebbfd7bolzZlXAFlK5BYDyFJKA5Q_jQ05SrB3wCJok9dCP3Hd3BedFo1U9nDffCC6JCONslC6Qriz4k9SoVa23c6Pvtb2yzUBFIaM3QVx7yCHfiZlOVfhgBENr60TnYbucJe_jpkoSTPp5R0yq4CmJyXkrmp5dZEGo1HcqbWlYYiE14IiTl4FZKS8hGCANyQx__Cu9b4ZMAirALqW72UJz53WiK8qAQq_cVt-69w1HGbtWJ4CVI5EAzt4S7Yhr2gPB1auKGE19ADmeOeyizDCu3QXHAsyQDpeAtKseSTw08l7e7Na9g_vvbQ=s647-no?authuser=0

Edited by JamesB
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, Lifeisgood said:

If you decide to try the H2O2 option, would it work to dip his fins in the solution as opposed to swabbing them? Might it be quicker and less stressful?

Rooting for you both.

I love that idea!!! If the salt treatment at 1T a gallon ratio isn't working I will DEFENTLEY try that. I may try it anyways because it such an interseting idea.

Thanks @Hobbit and @Lifeisgood for the ideas!

I did a little changing to hugos tank to make it more easier to dose. I simply drained it 50% so that I could dose 50% less. I also had to take the heater out of the internal filter and into the tank so that the water would still be apporpiately warm. 

image.png.7c21125487a6f16a268acf5ea4da0bc7.png

What a differnce 7 hours can make. 7 hours ago Hugo was happily swimming, eating, etc. 7 hours later and he is lying on his side, not eating, not swimming. I honestly don't know what to do. I have dosed salt three times since this last happened, and have only seen a difference once. I really don't know what to do, but I don't think salt is the way to go. Even with daily waterchanges and and daily dosing, it seems that Hugo is not responding to the constant amount of salt 😞. I was thinking of doing a salt bath, this way he is only exposed to the salt for a short period of time. If that doesn't work I may go with the H2O2 method.

bP488_Lo-mpsxHrrCvsKGwZGHAcLr1SS8LyKh82NvsKV3mY_dT5McjQQbWBPdLWe4iKbi0lKw8eOeRQ1b-ZU07Zl5qk9tho8oE7G53TmF-f7ugW0oM9kf1Cr_UvWFajg8i3BKPswCtAdXliUEN_V8rk-kD7RGsSJZgNVYZL4D-n2hJbY87IxEEJY9So45-9yLnuiPWGQ1AyqEuocLfbflC0gvpfIiyFEaoWkOgINGpudBpP_3qIusn6_FEh9oWhmzDjZUPhYaCVPD2RhjspLOXo2bCv-y7WYjYhCxZ1V_z82gm1mHA3GfGCJspI11lNv7YPH7-9wiGAA01GipO4mYJSX-STppJEJWzulMc_hGvsCLBLTnxW6BYaThj-0HHkuXV_OlhOrfo5VFr1frFkV7hdp0vgAxDQDpMfYgvIL0K0KC3cYXqV-Op8Eag-ZQbEmTccjhffaiOErZUoEPMSq_ZWEooZCMlGGTh48bWdlYkYlsziCLyAHaN0JIW4a2EtWmSEmd0KDmsQRxISBwwVtNwyR6MuSzNSgagPcd2Of6qP1S5krjXo9AoB46xgutCJX44uGTyCw111k85Cyvk8Nhfc0A5oekMXdMZUxXbgyD5D2IUqQsSj6OhVQyIwVzgtq7bagbAMsnq5bkr9w6t5jcEtYuoufSo53I9bSgSkwsFwZ-mT9VPmUDYdzwpI6hw=w370-h657-no?authuser=0

• Sad 1

I did a salt bath for hugo, lets just say I partially regret my actions.

He is now in his tank, spassing again and lying around. I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! I know that I won't be treating him with salt again, part of me wants to try some API Melafix but I am pretty sure that won't work based on the cirqumstances, I just have to locate some melafix. 

As hard as it is for me to say it, this may be it for hugo. 

LITTERLEY ANY ADVICE OR TIPS WILL BE SOOOOOO MUCH APPRECIATED! 

• Sad 4

I do not have much experience treating sick bettas...so, I am sure many know better than me!!

Since you aren't seeing much improvement with the salt treatment, I would suggest backing down with the salt (I think that's what you were thinking of doing already, so it may not be much of a suggestion).  I like the idea of using StressCoat, too!! (Also...not really a new suggestion, haha!) Anything to make him more comfortable!

You could also try posting in the disease section...to see if you can get some extra eyes!

I feel your pain!!! 💙🐠

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

I did a salt bath for hugo, lets just say I partially regret my actions.

He is now in his tank, spassing again and lying around. I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! I know that I won't be treating him with salt again, part of me wants to try some API Melafix but I am pretty sure that won't work based on the cirqumstances, I just have to locate some melafix. 

As hard as it is for me to say it, this may be it for hugo. 

LITTERLEY ANY ADVICE OR TIPS WILL BE SOOOOOO MUCH APPRECIATED! 

Oh no! Poor Hugo, and poor YOU! 🥺 It is so-o-o stressful taking care a sick pet. Even if you were a veterinarian with years of experience, treating a beloved animal companion is a tough road. I am not a veterinarian; however, I did get my degree in Animal Science. I am not a veteran fish keeper, but I have cared for many, many domestic and wild critters at rehab centers, biology labs, and vet clinics. 

For nearly two years, I provided doggie hospice for my own beloved pooch as she slowly died of cancer. I spent many nights in tears agonizing about how to care for her. And of course, I had to decide when it was time to finally say goodbye. She wasn’t the first pet I cried over, and she won’t be the last. 🐕

So, I feel your pain and hope things will turn around. FWIW, here are my thoughts. Firstly, as I said, I am not a veterinarian or even a vet tech. What I am suggesting is what I would do, if I had a fish in Hugo’s dire condition. Important Disclaimer — I am willing to take full responsibility for the chance that my actions might endanger my pet’s lives, rather than make them better. You may not be comfortable with that type of risk. So, here goes…

Firstly, I hope Hugo is still breathing. 😟  I hope this doesn't come off as condescending, but the first thing I would suggest is that you step back a bit and just breathe for a few minutes. Take a walk, play video games, eat. Stop reading the forum. Seriously. Anything to give you a break from pet-owner stress. 

Next, it feels like we need to give Hugo a complete break from any and all treatment. I know that feels neglectful, but to be a bit blunt... Fin rot is not going to kill him in the next 24 hours. But the stress he's getting from the treatments could do him in quite quickly. Please remember I am not judging or accusing you of doing anything wrong, simply making an observation. 👍

Try to give him the most comfortable conditions possible. Add lots of oxygenation via an air stone or sponge filter. Keep the temperature at his favorite setting. Turn off the lighting. Give him some privacy via a cardboard screen or even throw a blanket over the tank. And then, as hard as it will be for you, leave Hugo alone and let him recover in quiet darkness. (Imagine being sick with a cold and your worried friends keep dropping by every couple of hours to see if you are OK. 🤢) Sneak a peek every couple of hours, but otherwise, let him rest in the dark for at least a day. Do NOT feed him! Owners of all species of pets make this mistake far too often. When they are not feeling well, your pets are better off going hungry. (Feeding them makes us feel better, not them. That is why we have so many overweight pets. 😉)

When Hugo starts doing better, still do not treat him for at least a week. Or at least wait until he seems completely back to his normal behavior. Avoid the temptation to treat him unless his tail is about to fall off. I know that sounds like a joke, but Hugo can regenerate his tail from a serious case of fin rot. More critical at this point is to give him (and you!) a break from all this stress. In other words, if he is going to make it, it will be on his own gumption.💪

Please do not take my word as gospel or just blindly follow my ramblings as if I am some sort of fish expert. I decided to reach out because I know all-too-well that sickening feeling of helplessness when my pets are sick. As I said, I only offer this information to tell you what I would do if Hugo were my ichthyan pal. 🐟

Love and prayers to you both and I hope Hugo gets well soon. 💖

• Like 8
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Anita said:

Oh no! Poor Hugo, and poor YOU! 🥺 It is so-o-o stressful taking care a sick pet. Even if you were a veterinarian with years of experience, treating a beloved animal companion is a tough road. I am not a veterinarian; however, I did get my degree in Animal Science. I am not a veteran fish keeper, but I have cared for many, many domestic and wild critters at rehab centers, biology labs, and vet clinics. 

For nearly two years, I provided doggie hospice for my own beloved pooch as she slowly died of cancer. I spent many nights in tears agonizing about how to care for her. And of course, I had to decide when it was time to finally say goodbye. She wasn’t the first pet I cried over, and she won’t be the last. 🐕

So, I feel your pain and hope things will turn around. FWIW, here are my thoughts. Firstly, as I said, I am not a veterinarian or even a vet tech. What I am suggesting is what I would do, if I had a fish in Hugo’s dire condition. Important Disclaimer — I am willing to take full responsibility for the chance that my actions might endanger my pet’s lives, rather than make them better. You may not be comfortable with that type of risk. So, here goes…

Firstly, I hope Hugo is still breathing. 😟  I hope this doesn't come off as condescending, but the first thing I would suggest is that you step back a bit and just breathe for a few minutes. Take a walk, play video games, eat. Stop reading the forum. Seriously. Anything to give you a break from pet-owner stress. 

Next, it feels like we need to give Hugo a complete break from any and all treatment. I know that feels neglectful, but to be a bit blunt... Fin rot is not going to kill him in the next 24 hours. But the stress he's getting from the treatments could do him in quite quickly. Please remember I am not judging or accusing you of doing anything wrong, simply making an observation. 👍

Try to give him the most comfortable conditions possible. Add lots of oxygenation via an air stone or sponge filter. Keep the temperature at his favorite setting. Turn off the lighting. Give him some privacy via a cardboard screen or even throw a blanket over the tank. And then, as hard as it will be for you, leave Hugo alone and let him recover in quiet darkness. (Imagine being sick with a cold and your worried friends keep dropping by every couple of hours to see if you are OK. 🤢) Sneak a peek every couple of hours, but otherwise, let him rest in the dark for at least a day. Do NOT feed him! Owners of all species of pets make this mistake far too often. When they are not feeling well, your pets are better off going hungry. (Feeding them makes us feel better, not them. That is why we have so many overweight pets. 😉)

When Hugo starts doing better, still do not treat him for at least a week. Or at least wait until he seems completely back to his normal behavior. Avoid the temptation to treat him unless his tail is about to fall off. I know that sounds like a joke, but Hugo can regenerate his tail from a serious case of fin rot. More critical at this point is to give him (and you!) a break from all this stress. In other words, if he is going to make it, it will be on his own gumption.💪

Please do not take my word as gospel or just blindly follow my ramblings as if I am some sort of fish expert. I decided to reach out because I know all-too-well that sickening feeling of helplessness when my pets are sick. As I said, I only offer this information to tell you what I would do if Hugo were my ichthyan pal. 🐟

Love and prayers to you both and I hope Hugo gets well soon. 💖

Thanks anita for the long and very helpful response. I will definitely leave him alone and take a break. 

Once again THANKS SO MUCH!!!

• Like 1

I think Anita’s advice is really good. The only thing I would suggest is if you have an air pump that you can control the flow, to perhaps add a VERY gently bubbling air stone to his tank, just to give the water extra oxygen. If you can’t get a really gentle bubbler though, don’t worry about it. The water is shallow with a large surface area so there’s probably plenty of oxygen as it is.

Let us know how he does.

• Like 2

Last night I draped a towel over the tank, and added a airstone. I have peeped in a few times to see how he was doing, he is doing a bit better in terms of not looking dead. He hasn't been swimming around (well at least not that I've seen) but he hasn't been at the surface on his side. I want to remove ALL of the salt, and so I will be doing a waterchange tomorrow. His fins aren't any better though. I think I may buy some API Stress Coat to help him, I'm not to sure how well it will do with his fins.

• Like 3

I’m glad he’s hanging in there. I would give him at least a week, maybe more, before trying anything else on his fins. The stress coat should be fine—though keep the air stone in there because it can make the water thicker and harder to “breathe.” Who knows—maybe the fin rot will start healing in the meantime. Poor little guy. Kudos to you for hanging in there too!