13 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Following this topic has inspired me to set up a betta tank too! I'm planning on a shopping trip for a tank tomorrow! I'd love an alternative to a regular old 10 gallon and am excited to see what they have. 

bettas truly are a spectacular fish! I hope you have as much fun with your betta as I have with mine!

• Thanks 1

I orderd a teckin smart plug off amazon canada. I will be using the smart plugs to balance out the lighting in the tank to deal with the hair algea. I wanted to get the Kassa Timers but couldn't find them on amazon. the timer is coming on sunday. And it came in a two pack meaning that I can use another one for a furture aquarium.

Edited by James Black

The smart plug came in today, and I woke up to hugo making his first bubbles nest! Today I fed him Fluval Bug Bites for the first time, and he LOVES it! Usually he is to busy saying hi to me every morning to relize I just dropped food in, but today as soon as I dropped in the bug bites he went NUTS! Totally reccemoend for anyone wanting a once a week treat for your betta!
Also the monte carlo is pearling for the first time too!

image.png.e74d7942e6054be1c69f456cb48bfccf.pngimage.png.5d75f4895dd0b74ecc6a81d7152d91b4.png

You can see that Hugo is developing some finrot. I'm not surprised, most bettas I get from the petstore in those tiny cups develop some fin rot. Anyway its a very mild case so I will be moving him to a empty 10 gallon that I have soon. I haven't had very good luck with fin rot, so I hope I can cure this one.

image.png.909b5c3d3c16b5aa3da4bb399441bcf0.png

Edited by James Black

• 2 weeks later...

Hugo came out of quarintine on Sunday! He started using his betta hamock, I just haven't gotten any pictures of him using it. But he is very cute when he sleeps on his hamock. The betta leaf is defentley a MUST for any betta keepers.

The Monte Carlo hasn't turned out the way I wanted it to. So I am doing a rescape. I have some plants in my cart that I plan to use.

-Amazon Frogbit

-Anubius Barteri

-Needle Leaf Java Fern

-Staurogyne Repens

• Like 4

I got impatient and couldn't wait for the plants (we've all been there). It also doesn't help that the java fern I want is sold out, if only I checked out like a hour before hand. So I am waiting for the java fern to be back instock before I make my move.

But I couldn't bare to look at the tank anymore, the algae infested ugly looking peice of crap. I dug up all the monte carlo (hugo wasn't a fan of this re-scape) Took out the dragon stone, scrubed the glass, and did like a 75% water change. After all this I decided to take a break because Hugo was getting mad. After he cooled down, I positioned the dragon stone. I wanted it to have more of a structure, and more places for hugo to go in and out of. I simply moved the rocks to the left. This way he has the corner. I thought this would give him more privacy during his sassy teenage years. He has already started exploring it, very cute. 

I then put a peice of paper over the lid where the light shines through. This will help dim the light a bit. Unfortauntley the peice of paper did not reach the entire length of the light. So theres a dark side and a light side. I plan to get floating plants for this tank, so once the plants have grown in I will take the paper off.

Heres is a before and after:

image.png.866d2b88ff339b38bdd557f67fd4b243.png

image.png.251ca8afb946faf4bb35ac95c2e87832.png

I know not the biggest change. Just broght everything to the left. The right corner is very bare but I plan to fill it up with plants. And perhaps some javafern behind the rocks. 

And of course some pictures of Hugo:

image.png.e9feb944db108ca707500be656209ee6.png

This picture was taken seconds before he tried to eat that plant. He quickly spit out though, turns out he doesnt like salad.

Edited by James Black
  • Like 3

Well... Do you want the good news or the bad news?

Good News First:
Hugo has been LOVIN' his new rock strucuture, everytime I approach the tank I go "wheres hugo" and then he comes emerging from the rocks and says "do you have food?"

Now the bad news...:classic_sad:

The rocks were ripping up hugos fins, so I had to remove them. I have strated treating with salt to encourage the fins to grow back, poor little guy. So for his new upcoming rescape I will be getting him a "betta log" It will give him more structure and more places to hide just like the rocks did for him.

His tank is really bear right now, I may put another rock in but just cover it in a panty hose or something so it can give him places to swim through and it won't destroy his fins.

image.png.2908d53816573bb615629f4144d956b5.png

image.png.f226b02cca846e0615ba0a366afc6453.png

Edited by James Black
  • Like 1

Aww, poor Hugo! I hope his beautiful fins heal! Whichever betta log you choose, run your fingers along the inside, as there can be a lot of sharp edges. One type is ceramic (the kind that sits on the bottom) and that was the one that had sharp spots - it took me a good 15 minutes to sand them all down. The floating log is made of some composite material, mine had no sharp spots on it. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Aww, poor Hugo! I hope his beautiful fins heal! Whichever betta log you choose, run your fingers along the inside, as there can be a lot of sharp edges. One type is ceramic (the kind that sits on the bottom) and that was the one that had sharp spots - it took me a good 15 minutes to sand them all down. The floating log is made of some composite material, mine had no sharp spots on it. 

Thanks Maggie! I will defentley run my fingers along any decor to make sure its fine for Hugo! Does Cosmo like the Floating or Sinking log better?

Edited by James Black
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 1:37 PM, Maggie said:

One type is ceramic (the kind that sits on the bottom) and that was the one that had sharp spots - it took me a good 15 minutes to sand them all down. The floating log is made of some composite material, mine had no sharp spots on it. 

Which log does your betta like better, the floating one or the sinking one?

Well...

Its been a week of salt treatment, and nothing is improving only getting worse 😞 

Hugo hasn't been doing so well, he has been lying around sometimes on his side, never really swimming will once in a while have a spass atack (only way I know how to explain it) I am afraid he may only have a few days left 😞. I have not and WILL not giveup until he has. He is not eating either.

I have to take a break with the salt as too much salt all at once can really do some damage. So I did a 50% water change to get rid of the salt, if he is still with us on Monday I willl continue treatment. 

I have never been able to treat for finrot succesfully. I live in Canada so the only meds availble to me is salt, and thats about it. There was some melafix but thats been dis-contiuned. Theres a lso some API super ick cure, but that won't help for finrot. I have been treating at the 1Tb a gallon ratio (the ratio aquarium coop recemended)

Any Ideas are much appreciated. 

Here are some pictures:

image.png.84b8d23a982a732080db03de7aaecd04.png

image.png.2de8565f16e8fe9fa36b5a304f96dd36.png

• Sad 4

Oh no! Poor Hugo. Rooting for you both. I’m not sure if adding some cover like a pantyhose-covered cave like you mentioned might reduce his stress level and encourage him a bit? I don’t have any ideas other than that—and when my fish are sick I tend to over-fuss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Aww, poor Hugo! Are you able to get arythromycin from a veterinarian? 

From what I know is there isn't an aquatic vet where I live. I may try though, all though if it comes with a hefty bill theres a chance I won't be using it.

Does it have to be an aquatic vet though? Do you have a regular vet for any other pets? My brother was a veterinarian and could treat any animal, although that was here in the US. Maybe they'd only charge a little to take a peek at a photo and for the meds.

• Like 1