Cleaning inside Glass

Frankie

Afternoon Forum

One of my neighbors toss out a 29 gallon set-up so naturally i picked it up for a spare tank...anyway the inside of the tank was just NASTY...dried algae and just dried up gunk is best i  can

describe it...any suggestions for a cleaning solution that is safe other than a straight edge and elbow grease??  i know the razor is risking but this stuff is really on the inside of the tank...

or is this just a useless cause???  Right now i`m just soakin the tank with soapy water..

Thanking everyone for you time

Be Safe out there!!!

Frank C

a razor blade in one of them little holders. hold it at a very shallow angle and just work it up and down the glass. just keep out of the silicone. i usually hold them with a finger down the side, so that the blade stays at least 1 finger away from the silicone. a few places sell like a blue plastic scrubby pad for aquariums, those work pretty good for really tough dried algae also. no where near as easy as the razor blade though.

A strong Vinegar solution works best for me. I don't know if you can add it to the soap water or not.  I would  change the water and let it soak for a few hours or more, then begin the removal process.   The vinegar will soften most of the deposits

I used white vinegar 1:3 ratio with water to clean my acrylic tank that had sat for over 7 years with grime and water stains on it. I just rinsed it out and then sprayed the solution everywhere, let it sit for about 30 minutes, then used some elbow grease. Everything came off.