Over planting

Neil

Got some great plants from aquarium co-op last week.   I want to order some more and would like to know can you over plant an aquarium?   I started small with a 20 high to gain experience with planted tanks. 

• Like 1

Sometimes it can be hard to find an empty spot on the substrate, which is a great problem to have!

I keep buckets and utility tanks with light and air, for spare plants and cuttings. I order plants that I love, and then wait for the right moments of inspiration to plant more.

Edited by Streetwise

27 minutes ago, Jennifer V said:

@JettsPapa which fish need more open space to be happy? I have a feeling I'm headed for a heavily planted tank and want to make sure the fish I add are right for it. 

I think most fish that occupy the middle to upper levels of the tanks like some open space.  Hopefully someone else will have more specific information.

• Like 1

I would add that if you have a wide variety of plants and want to keep it that way, you’ll have to do some trimming and generally keep each plant from getting too big. Just like in a regular garden, if you just let everything go a few plants will do really well and take all the space, light, and nutrients from the others.