Platys being bullied by Endlers, don’t know what to do

KyleKVK

I’ve posted about this before but now I have evidence that I can’t attach because it’s a video. My Platys are miserable because my Endlers chase them nonstop. Some people here suggested that Endlers are trying to mate with them and that it’s harmless, but my Platys are exhibiting stress behavior and I don’t have another tank to put them in. 

I do have a Ziss Breeder Box that I can put my Endlers in for a few days though. It’s not setup yet but it won’t be difficult. Any other ideas?

My guess is your platys look like super sized females to the Endlers, which pushes every known button on a male Endler. Not so much bullying as very over enthusiastic mating attempts. And that is almost impossible to prevent short of separation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

My guess is your platys look like super sized females to the Endlers, which pushes every known button on a male Endler. Not so much bullying as very over enthusiastic mating attempts. And that is almost impossible to prevent short of separation.

That would be funny to me if it didn’t seem to make my Platys so miserable. I can’t separate them, although I suppose I could get a few female Endlers but I’d be pushing the stock limits of my tank. 

Is there a space requirement that prevents you from separating the endlers from the platies?

If you have something like a 10 gallon or larger, you could put up a tank divider (DIY or otherwise). 

You don’t have to put the endler’s into another tank either if you can’t set up/afford another aquarium. Depending on how many you have, you can throw them into a 5 gallon bucket with a sponge filter or plants + an air stone. If it is warm enough outside, you could also just set up a mini pond for them outside. 

Another option is to just rehome or return the endler’s you have (assuming you want to keep the platies more than the endler’s). 

That’s all I can think of for now, good luck! It’s never easy when your stocking options don’t interact like how you want them to. 

Edited by AnimalNerd98

• 6 months later...
On 1/1/2021 at 5:12 PM, KyleKVK said:

That would be funny to me if it didn’t seem to make my Platys so miserable. I can’t separate them, although I suppose I could get a few female Endlers but I’d be pushing the stock limits of my tank. 

You could do that or maybe find a really big male platy to chase the endlers away or scare them off?