Betta fry water changes and growth rates

Kieflow

I’ve heard that it’s very important to do water changes every day when growing out betta fry, is there a reason for this other than keeping nitrates super low? I have a 10 gallon with several betta fry in it, and it is HEAVILY planted (I haven’t done a water change in months and my nitrates are always at 0). I feel like my fry are very small for being around a month old and unsure of the cause. 

Hmm . . . I've not heard of this practice. Perhaps it is about how large of a container the fry are growing out in. If they are growing in a tiny jar or specimen container, it may be that the assumption is that in the absence of biological filtration, the betta fry require clean water to grow properly. But you're using a 10 gal aquarium, so I'd imagine the problem is not this.

What I've seen, in general, is that the fry do well when the water level begins fairly low in the 10 gal. tank. Seasoned / treated water is then gradually added to increase the overall volume as the fry grow, their labyrinth organ is formed, and they are stronger swimmers. 

Its believed the largest fry puts a hormone in the water to slow the growth of the rest of the fry. So by doing small water changes everyday you are giving all fry the best shot at growing at the same pace rather than one large fry and the rest looking much younger

@Kieflow,

Like @Fish Folk I am unaware of the recommendation to do daily water changes for betta fry. I used to breed bettas and what betta fry need are what other baby fish need, that is good quality water, and frequent feeding with good quality food. Temperature plays a factor in growth rates too.

How big are they now? How big did you expect them to be at this point? It would be helpful to a see photos of the baby bettas and and your grow out tank if you are able to post one.

13 hours ago, Daniel said:

@Kieflow,

Like @Fish Folk I am unaware of the recommendation to do daily water changes for betta fry. I used to breed bettas and what betta fry need are what other baby fish need, that is good quality water, and frequent feeding with good quality food. Temperature plays a factor in growth rates too.

How big are they now? How big did you expect them to be at this point? It would be helpful to a see photos of the baby bettas and and your grow out tank if you are able to post one.

57041684-C239-4517-83E9-7347430064BD.jpeg