Discus and hard water + high pH, is it ok?

HenryC

I've been wanting to put a discus tank for so long now, but I get intimidated due to their reputation. But as I research more and more, it seems their difficulty is overrated? 

I keep fish that do fine or even preffer hard water, as my tap water comes out very hard and at about 7.8pH. This is just out of pure convenience, I rather avoid having to implement a RODI system and make the hobby more complicated/costly.

Do any of you guys have any experience with discus and very hard water? Is it doable or will they suffer just as rams? I'm talking about 18-20gh hardness, super hard!

Lots of people keep discus in hard water with a pH like yours. I think it helps if you can get your discus while they are juveniles and raise them in your water.

I do have to admit though, that is pretty hard water. Like you could hammer nails with that water.

• Haha 1

Just now, Daniel said:

Lots of people keep discus in hard water with a pH like yours. I think it helps if you can get your discus while they are juveniles and raise them in your water.

I do have to admit though, that is pretty hard water. Like you could hammer nails with that water.

My mollies and guppies are in paradise! haha.

@HenryCWith water parameters like yours I would say Discus keeping would be extremely difficult but not impossible. If you could find someone selling Discus imported from Europe you may have chance. European Discus have been raised in very hard water for many years. Have you thought of African lake cichlids? They really love that hard water.

• Like 1

Stendkar discus may be more tolerant. Try Discus Hans over in Baltimore MD. Ask his view on your situation. Furthermore, maybe just buy a few juveniles and see how they do for you. Keep the tank hot... 85-88 degrees. Consider planting your tank well (choose plants that can handle heat), and add lots of wood. Maybe get an R.O. system, and just mix it with your tap water for changes? Look at Lowes to price them.

• Like 1

Thank you guys, I'll see if I can find local bred discus. If not I guess I'll pass on them until I have a proper RODI setup.

@Paul I'm eyeing peacock cichlids! I might just get a big tank of those if the discus aren't an option.

Edited by HenryC

• 2 years later...

@HenryC - I recognize this is an old thread, but I am thinking of doing something similar - keeping discus in hard water (I am on a well), and I want to avoid the RO system as I think it will just make things complicated. Did you ever do this and have success? Would you mind sharing the outcome, as well as if you ended up buying from DiscusHans - I am thinking of going that route. Thanks so much!