Water changes with "winter water"

Savanna

This will be my first "winter" having fish tanks. I live in Florida, so we don't really get much of a winter, but we've had a longer than normal cold snap and I noticed last night that the water now smells strongly of chlorine, when it never has before. Last year was a pretty mild winter and I don't recall the water smelling like it does now. They only release water reports for the year prior, and it doesn't show chlorine/chloramine levels so I have no idea what level it normally is, so that's no help. My pH also went from 7.8 to 8.2. I do water changes every other week for all but one tank, but I'm worried the sudden change in water quality/parameters may cause issues. Will small, gradual water changes help? Should I change a smaller amount more frequently? 

The tetra test strips will test for chlorine. That would be a cheap insurance policy and answer your question.

I have not experienced problems with moving fish between water with different parameters as long as it was clean water on on both sides.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The tetra test strips will test for chlorine. That would be a cheap insurance policy and answer your question.

I have not experienced problems with moving fish between water with different parameters as long as it was clean water on on both sides.

I'll have to check back at petsmart, they've been out of a lot of stuff lately and the strips I'd gotten a few months ago didn't test for chlorine, but I don't remember what brand they were

• Like 1

I use well water, so don't have to worry about chlorine, but won't the Prime, or whatever similar product you're using take care of it, even if the levels in your municipal water change?

As far as the pH, I don't know that the change will have a negative impact on your fish, but I certainly think smaller water changes more often would help mitigate any possible ill effects from it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JettsPapa said:

I use well water, so don't have to worry about chlorine, but won't the Prime, or whatever similar product you're using take care of it, even if the levels in your municipal water change?

As far as the pH, I don't know that the change will have a negative impact on your fish, but I certainly think smaller water changes more often would help mitigate any possible ill effects from it. 

Yes, but my concern is that the chlorine level may be higher than what the suggested dosage is meant to cover, and I don't want to double dose if I don't have to. I just worry about everything so I want to be sure. We were on well water where I lived before so I've never had to deal with this either

53 minutes ago, Savanna said:

Yes, but my concern is that the chlorine level may be higher than what the suggested dosage is meant to cover, and I don't want to double dose if I don't have to. I just worry about everything so I want to be sure. We were on well water where I lived before so I've never had to deal with this either

If you leave water out overnight it will offgass chlorine with no prime at all. I have considered getting a large rubbermaid trash can on wheels and just having an available reservoir at all times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

If you leave water out overnight it will offgass chlorine with no prime at all. I have considered getting a large rubbermaid trash can on wheels and just having an available reservoir at all times.

That's true for chlorine, but it's my understanding that many water systems are using chloramine instead of chlorine, and it doesn't evaporate like chlorine does.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I've never had a problem really. I tend to dose dechlor more than recommended cause I just squirt it into the tank instead of measuring. Mostly  Ifind I just have more bubbles on the glass as the water holds more oxygen than during warmer months. 

4 minutes ago, JettsPapa said:

That's true for chlorine, but it's my understanding that many water systems are using chloramine instead of chlorine, and it doesn't evaporate like chlorine does.

You are totally right. We only have chlorine here, and I have never really thought about the chloramines. Nice catch! 

@Savanna - I noticed the same thing this morning!!! I live in FL, too. South of Orlando. I wonder if that's something the counties correlate together, or if we just live pretty close to each other.  We're doing water changes today. I'll definitely test the tap water before adding to the tanks.

10 minutes ago, Alesha said:

@Savanna - I noticed the same thing this morning!!! I live in FL, too. South of Orlando. I wonder if that's something the counties correlate together, or if we just live pretty close to each other.  We're doing water changes today. I'll definitely test the tap water before adding to the tanks.

I'm in Jacksonville, so a little bit away. I went and got the last pack of test strips petsmart had and tested my tap water and it didn't show anything, but it smells so strong I don't know that I trust it. I did look and see that they use chlorine and not chloramine, so I think I'll leave some water out for awhile just in case

• Like 3

@CoryI seem to remember reading or seeing on a video somewhere that you "overdose" on water treatment.  Is it possible to put in too much or a problem using AuquaSafe and Prime together? Thanks, trying to clear all the info flying around in my head

4 hours ago, Cory said:

I've never had a problem really. I tend to dose dechlor more than recommended cause I just squirt it into the tank instead of measuring. Mostly  Ifind I just have more bubbles on the glass as the water holds more oxygen than during warmer months. 

OK good to know. I've only had my tanks since may and I tend to overthink everything 😅

4 hours ago, JettsPapa said:

That was also one of my concerns, but I looked around on our electric company's site and they say they use chlorine, and I didn't get any ammonia readings that would suggest chloramine

Not exactly related but I have to chime in. I live near Chicago but I have been in Orlando for the last 8 days or so for work, what you guys consider a cold spell, is what I consider shorts weather!! Loving the fresh seafood!!

@Alesha Got any recommendations for fish stores? I have checked out a few but everything is salt water down here. WWC in Orlando was neat to see as they apparently are the biggest coral farm in the world. The guy was nice enough to spend 20 minutes talking to me about corals and the hobby in general when I told him I wasn’t from around here.

6CFB0CD9-239E-402C-A4A8-4BB7F3DC2638.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toothgrinder said:

Not exactly related but I have to chime in. I live near Chicago but I have been in Orlando for the last 8 days or so for work, what you guys consider a cold spell, is what I consider shorts weather!! Loving the fresh seafood!!

@Alesha Got any recommendations for fish stores? I have checked out a few but everything is salt water down here. WWC in Orlando was neat to see as they apparently are the biggest coral farm in the world. The guy was nice enough to spend 20 minutes talking to me about corals and the hobby in general when I told him I wasn’t from around here.

This weather is miserable! I can't handle walking outside in the morning and having ice on my windshield 😂 even in North Florida it's still difficult to find a lfs that isn't mostly salt water stuff. 

2 hours ago, toothgrinder said:

Hi @toothgrinder. Yeah,  we Floridians are pretty wimpy when it comes to cold weather. LoL!

I don't know of any good stores in Orlando, sorry. I don't get up that way often.  I know of an awesome fish farm in Lakeland, called Imperial Tropicals.  They used to do tours of their farm before Covid-19. You could shoot them an email,  if you are interested. They *might* let you visit.  It's about an hour drive from Orlando. They are incredible. We always buy from them if they have what we want in stock.