Jeff

Over the last 5-6 years, I was collecting gear for a reef tank. Bought two Brute trash cans: one for mixing salt, the other for RODI water. 

Long story short - sold everything for a brand new 90g FW tank/canopy. However, I didn't sell my trash cans. 

I'd love to use them somehow if possible, for my 90. Do any of you use these?

Is there any benefit to keeping a can of heated and circulated water for water changes have any benefits?

Any other ideas other than equipment storage?

If you dive deep into the freshwater side of the hobby and end up keeping some soft water species, you would use one to collect rainwater to use in your tanks, or for RO water and to remineralize it before putting into an aquarium. Or if you want to like you mentioned, put water in, aerate it, age and heat it to be ready for a water change. Or as @Daniel said growing a live food culture. You could also just use to grow something like guppies, rice fish in, fill with water, put a sponge filter and some plants in, add fish. 

21 hours ago, Jeff said:

Ooooh. Please tell me more. What's your recipe?

For mosquito larva just add water and yard debris or plant clippings. For Daphnia, make green water with by adding soil or straw or Easy Green. Next add some crushed coral and then add starter Daphnia. Continue to feed the Daphnia with some combination of these ingredients ground down to a powder:

image.png.ffe77b52938d215d95ebc333ef0482d0.png